The Titanic 2interesting article

J

Joshua McCracken

I found an issue of Popular Mechanics from August 1998 in a Cleveland used book store the other day, and the cover story was about the proposed Titanic 2 idea. If anyone else is interested in this idea (which died long ago, thankfully), take a look since it is an extremely interesting read.

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
Believe it or not, way back then, one of my 6th grade classmates brought that article in to share with the class. I barely remember the drawing of the proposed concept (a cutaway I think). I remember I thought it was amazing at the time. Is there anyway you could possibly scan that drawing?

J

Joshua McCracken

The man is right, scanning that drawing would be in violation of the copyright, but I can give you a brief description of it. Basically the ship looks pretty much the same above the waterline with the exception of the added lifeboats. There are also navigation devices on top of the wheelhouse and a navigational device has replaced the raised platform between the second and third funnel. Below the waterline the bows have been given a 'bulbous' nose which helps to decrease the roll and pitch of the early days of the 20th century. The rudder has been modified, and in the drawing it looks alot like the QE2's rudder. The propellers have also been changed, and there are now two blades per prop instead of one, which would make the ship move faster. The article makes a note of the fact that since ships no longer run on steam the massive engine room equipment in the bowels of the ship will be replaced with garbage disposal and air conditioning machines. The article itself was extremely interesting, but in the end it's a good thing that these plans never came to anything. By the way, I made a mistake earlier when I posted the month of the magazine. It is September, not August, of 1998. If you can find a copy of it it is an extremely fascinating read.

J

Joshua McCracken

The drawing that Mr. Gittins just posted is the one that I was talking about. It's very interesting to see all of the ideas that people have about this, isn't it? Even if none of them ever come to pass (and to be honest I hope that they never do), it's neat to see what ideas people have about them.

James Doyle

Jul 30, 2002
Even though none of these ideas ever came to pass, was there ever a time when some of you thought "wow, this could really happen?" What company did you all think held the most promise to build a replica?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
James, I never fell for any of the yarns at any time. I suspect that neither did anybody who has the remotest knowledge of shipping laws. The various schemes were all obvious beatups, riding on Cameron's movie. I wonder what fantasies we'll see in 2012.

T

Tom Pappas

No one with even the most rudimentary grasp of the concept of Return on Investment would entertain backing a replica for a millisecond. It would make Enron look like a brilliant idea.

J

Joshua McCracken

I agree. The novelty wears off pretty quickly on these kinds of things.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What company did you all think held the most promise to build a replica?<<

Honestly James....none of them. While there are shipping companies out there with the capital to build something that superficially resembles the Titanic, I don't think you'll find a board of directors stupid enough to actually try it.

Titanic was "trendy" back in 1997, but fashions have since moved on to other things. When Popular Mechanics published that article, I knew then and there it wasn't going to happen. They have an incredibly lousy track record for predicting the future.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
Not another Titanic 2 thread.Oh well here's my 2 cents.People it's just not happening.If building a Titanic 2 is such a great idea don't you think one of the established cruise lines for example Cunard or P&O would have done it already?But let's stop talking about Titanic 2 which will not happen anyway and look to the new ocean liner which will be the Queen Mary 2. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

J

Joshua McCracken

Jerry,
It's an interesting topic, it's that simple. By the way, this thread started out as letting people know about an interesting article about the Titanic 2. Nobody here (at least as far as I know) takes it seriously, so where's the harm?

P

Phil Fazzini

Popular Mechanics article (if I remember this title
correctly had a article about how a "Titanic" could
be built again--with modern technology of course.
Anyone remember this article?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Phil,

Welcome aboard. I moved your post to here, where it's more appropriate.

Yes, we remember it well. I don't mean too sound harsh, but this issue has been done to death on here. If you have a look through this thread and the various other ones in this topic, you will see that it has been dissected, discussed and thrown about extensively.