The Titanic by Michael Davie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hello all.

Picked up this book from a second-hand bookstall a little while ago. It was first published in Great Britain in 1986.

It focuses on some of the "myths" that have grown up around the ship, (such as the First Class passengers getting preferential treatment in terms of access to the lifeboats), and tries to present the evidence, both For and Against.

The book also looks at lesser discussed topics, such as the behaviour of Guglielmo Marconi and the actions of the Marconi operators after the sinking. A good 1/3rd of the book examines the testimony at the two enquiries, looking for evidence of a "whitewash."

I've only read it once so far, and (apart from some very minor errors) it appears well researched and mainly unbiased. It was obviously written and published just after the wreck was discovered, and so was benefitting from the renewed publicity around the Titanic story at that time.

Wondered what anyone else who has read the book thinks of it.

Regards,
Paul.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I found it very informative, especially about the two enquiries and the backgrounds of Smith and Mersey. It seems to exist in different incarnations. The copy I saw was called Titanic: The Death and Life of a Legend. I'm pretty well sure I've seen it under another name, perhaps revised a little.

I might add that Michael Davie is one of the few Titanic authors with seagoing experience. Makes a change from the landlubbers.

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hi Dave.

My fault I think; I forgot to put in the subtitle in my original post.

The version I've got is called: "The Titanic - The Full Story Of A Tragedy." My copy is published 1987 by Grafton. The original was published in 1986 by The Bodley Head Ltd.

I was particularly fascinated by the appendix detailing correspondence between Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and George Bernard Shaw. Interesting to see opinions so sharply polarising so soon after the tragedy (May 1912).

Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.