The two halves of the Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2008
Good morning

My daughter has a report due on the Titanic and,
I have been trying to help her find the info, I have searched on several sites and found a lot of information, but there is a question that they we have been unable to find an answer for. The one question we can't find an answer for is, How far apart are the two halves of the Titanic when it broke in half. I have looked and spent the past day searching the net and we just can not find any information.

Hope you can answer that for me. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
Patti

Jun 11, 2000
Well, Robert Ballard measured the distance in the 1980s. Since then there have been several scientific papers about this, but you have to pay to get them. So I'd go with the estimate for a school project.
http://query.nytimes.com/etc

Either that, or research the ET articles here, some of which might shed further light on it. But for real accuracy, you'd be depending on GPS, and that doesn't seem to be free.

Jun 12, 2004
Hell, Patricia,

First, let me split hairs and say that the Titanic did not actually split in half, as the bow section extends beyond the half-way point and is larger. Since a good portion of the aft-mid-section crumbled away, the stern section is even smaller yet. So the best that we can say is that the Titanic broke in two (arguably in three or more, if one considers the aft-mid-section that crumbled away). I hope this helps.

As for the distance between bow and stern, according to Ballard's The Discovery of the Titanic, the bow rests 1,970 feet away from the stern section (p. 150), pointing to the northwest. The end of the stern points in nearly the same direction. The debris field is centered around the stern, with a concentration of spilled coal slightly to the west.

I hope this adequately answers your questions. Please let us know if you have anything else. Good luck on the report.

Apr 4, 2008
I want to take a few minutes to thank everyone who was able to answer my question. I'm sure this will help her very much.

Thank you once again and have a great day.

Patti

Status
Not open for further replies.