The Ugly Ships of Today

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Cruise Critic:

New NCL Design Not So Epic? Readers Respond, Dub Ship "The Hat"
quote:

Usually, the first artistic renderings of a new cruise ship look far better than the real thing. You know: A vision of the vessel in its most perfect form, gliding in a crystal blue sea, absent of rough edges and real-world wear. But after checking out the newly revealed images of the 153,000-ton, 4,200-passenger Norwegian Epic -- NCL's largest and most innovative new-build ever -- Cruise Critic members are hoping for quite the opposite.
More at http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3091

Comment: When you see the artist's rendering of this beast, you'll understand why I posted this piece in this thread. I wouldn't call it "wolf ugly" but it's close!​

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Just like it is wearing a pompadour.
It kind of looks like the Celebrity Solstice. Or the France/Norway when they added those extra decks.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
Norwegian Epic's Hull Artwork Revealed
quote:

Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled the contemporary hull design which will adorn Norwegian Epic, the company’s largest and most innovative Freestyle Cruising ship to date, scheduled for delivery in May 2010. In addition, the company will begin taking reservations for Norwegian Epic’s 2010/2011 inaugural season on Thursday, May 21, 2009, with a special preview day for Norwegian’s past guests (Latitudes members) on Wednesday, May 20, 2009.
More at:
http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/news/c_news.asp

A

Alexander John Cooley

I like the old ships that had a nice and ornate vibe to them that made the outsides of them just look like they are just drawing you inward and you feel the delights to go in because they are nice and warm and cozy. The new ships today just plain out detours me away from them. They all follow the same certain vibe that makes me wonder if I am going to be on a thing that was made to go and poke Cthulhu's eyes out? or what? and the interior is just wayyy to modern. Yes there is much fun stuff to do on board the ships of today but considering I am a antique lover. I would rather be on a ship that is a beautiful piece of artwork rather than some speed boat made to go and poke poor ole Cthuluhu's eyes out.

A

Auntie Analogue

What all of today's hideous, rigidly linear wedding cake ships lack above all is what made older vessels gorgeous: sheer. Sheer being that sinuous but graceful, sleek curvature extending along the length of a ship's main deck and followed by all of her other design elements. Sheer is what made those older ships look as if they were moving even when they weren't underway.

Mar 12, 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
I agree, cruise ships nowadays look like apartment blocks why can there not be 'classic ' liners around :(

[Moderator's note: This message has been moved from a thread where it responded to an isolated comment unrelated to the subject of that thread to this thread devoted entirely to the subject. MAB]

Last edited by a moderator: