The ultimate titanic wreck model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Rose

Nov 4, 2003
I couldn't find another spot on this site for my topic but ill put it in this one. I would like to build the ultimate Titanic Wreck and Research Ship models! I want to build the wreck as it was in the mid-90's. I would make both the bow and stern sections, but instead of putting the debris field and the model(s) on a bored for display, i sink them in a murky spot in my lake. Build a rescarch ship of my own design and make a little submersible that has a little spy-camera like camera mounted in it and send it down to see the submerged wreck. The neat part of this idea is that the sub would actually be able to explore the submerged wreck in almost pitch black water, kinda like the real thing, huh? There are hurdles to overcome like the biggest one, money. and do i leave my wreck at the bottom to deteriorate like the real thing? i suppose i could run string or rope to the surface, but i may use a teather for my submercible for power and i dont want it tangled up.andwhat would be the best scale for this project? any imput on a project like this is greatly appreciated.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I don't know that you need to be quite that elaborate but if you can make it happen, have at it. However, if you wish to see what's already been done, you might want to check out the Titanic Research and Modeling Website. Quite a few techies in the Titanic community hang out there and they have a fairly active forum. If anybody can give you some decent advice, these are the people to check with.

While you're there, you might want to look at Jakub Sieniawski's wreck model and the list of completed models which can be accessed HERE.

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
Would the research ship and sub be RC? I might be able to help you on design of the
research ship's RC system. You might want to build a Ballast system in to your
model.

Nick Rose

Nov 4, 2003
yeah i would like them to be RC. i may build Nadir and Nautile or the Kelydish and the Mir subs or maybee one out of Clive Cusslers books. And another the neat thing would be i could explore other underwater objects like the real subs. you could work out the RC systems? is there a way to launch the subs off the side of the model?

Nick Rose

Nov 4, 2003
Would you want to actually build this project together? a research ship, a sub, and a big sunken Titanic model? Look up The Dart on thats sub website in the picture section.it looks like a good submercible model to look at a sunken Titanic.

Tom Bates

Aug 16, 2002
Yes i agree with you the dart looks like a good sub. Also i was thinking you might
want to turn the wreck model in to a sub so you can recover it easier. It might be
easier to build one thing at a time. Do you have yahoo or msn name so we might be
able to chat about this online.

Ed Weichsler

Feb 4, 2004
There was a young man from the central part of Michigan (maybe Oxford)who used to build dioramas
of the wreck site. He had a couple of them on eBay about three years ago and(I believe) they went for $300+(USD).
His basis was the Academy kit. I lost his name & number with a hard drive crash. I'd love to get in touch with him again. The detail was bordering on fanatical. Since my cataract surgery, I don't dare waste my time trying to assemble another model.

Jan 7, 2002
The grand pooba of Titanic wreck modeldom is clearly Roy Mengot.....

I saw Roy's model in person when visiting his home in Dallas..

The model is smaller than you might think, but even more detailed than Roy's website suggests...

His wreck model is amazing....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Status
Not open for further replies.