The Unsinkable Titanic

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
From the advertising blurb it seems they are going to air the same boring hoary old chestnuts. I probably won't bother to watch it.

John Lynott

Apr 2, 2002
Addingham, Yorkshire
Nobody can be expected to match the production values of Cameron's Titanic or even ANTR. At least Lightoller looked like the real thing, complete with pipe - even if he did sound like Paul Sorvino's character in Goodfellas and there seemed to be some friction between Bride and Phillips - 'that was a long breakfast'.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I thought it was just me being a grumpy old man but I felt partially vindicated when I watched it - having videoed it to avoid the adverts, it was thirty minutes too long anyway.

It was interesting enough but I just felt that a lot of the points they made had been well and truly dismissed on this website. Like it should have had lifeboats for all - without any counter arguments that they would not have had time to launch them anyway. The fact that it was doomed before launch because of the rivets. No mention of the successful Olympic. Captain Smith in a daze - straight out of Cameron's Titanic movie, and so on.

May 27, 2007
I wonder if Discovery or BBC America will pick this one up? Sounds like from all of your posts if the programme isn't picked up I won't be missing much.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The fact that it was doomed before launch because of the rivets.<<

That one is going to be a tough myth to kill. While it's demonsterable that some of the rivets weren't up to snuff, It's also demonsterable that the vast majority of the rivets are right where the builders put them. None of that would have been an issue if the ship had simply avoided the region of ice completely.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
>>>>Lucky for me this came right after: "Mum Loves Drugs, Not Me" so the video caught it!<<<

Careful, Phil. You might have recorded 'Sex in the City', then you would have had some explaining to do.
blush.gif

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
I watched this expecting an in-depth forensic analysis of the quality of the rivets. Instead, I was greeted with an awful dramatisation based around a set of such inferior quality that it rivalled Terry Gilliam's animation on Flying Circus.

The less said about the acting, the better.