The untold stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Whlst enjoying a cold beer in the bath (as you do!), I was thinking about those missing depositions... and then I thought about the survivors still alive told. Milvina was a babe in arms and can't remember anything, and the other two ladies won't talk about it. How many people, out of the 705 survivors, have we never heard from? Obviously a lot of people gave testimony to the inquiries, several (Beesley, Thayer Jr.) published books, and there have been a lot of TV and magazine interviews, plus publications of survivors' letters, but there must be many who have not told their Titanic stories.....

Cheers

Paul

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I'd say there are quite a few out there, Paul. Some did tell their stories, but they weren't widely disseminated - perhaps they made it to a local newspaper, or through private letters. These are still surfacing...eventually they may make it into the canon (like the stories from Lightoller, Russell, Fleet, Brown etc). Others - particularly a good many of the crew - seem to have confined their reminiscences to their immediate family, if they told their story at all. Sometimes biographical details can be found, and even family members, but they might not have Titanic specific material - as the son of one survivor observed to me, his father avoided the subject.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>as the son of one survivor observed to me, his father avoided the subject.<<

Which is sad but not surprising. We get to view the event from a safe distance. They lived the horror for real. Small wonder one of them called it "A Night To Forget."

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Absolutely. It's rather like my Grandfather and WWI...he would speak about it to his mates who had lived through it, or if he had a few across his chest, but otherwise he didn't really want to relive the horrors of the trenches. People deal with trauma in different ways - some exorcise it by writing or talking about it. Others choose a different path. And then, sometimes, sadly there's no one who really wants to listen until it's too late.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I personally would like to see a few more accoutns from survivors in Collapsible C, just to clarify exactly how Ismay left the ship....

Cheers

Paul
-

Status
Not open for further replies.