The week before sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2008
Hello.
I am new to this board, but I have been interested in Titanic for many years.
What I would like to discuss is the week before sailing time. I read that the Titanic was docked in Southampton for a week before departure. During that week they did a lot of work to get everything ready. Am I right?
What I have been wondering is, were a few of the boilers lit to get heating and lights on board? Was the ship hooked up to power from land or was she dark and cold?
What do you think?

Matthew Farr

Mar 23, 2000
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Hello Peter,

Welcome to the board.

>>During that week they did a lot of work to get everything ready. Am I right? <<

Yes you are. Due to the delays caused by the repairs of Olympic due to the collision with the Hawke and damaged propellers the fitting out of the Titanic was put behind schedule and they were not able to completely finish here interiors and get here ready for departure prior to sailing. They were also bringing all of the food, linens, dishes and other provisions for accommodating all her passengers and crew for the voyage as well as getting the crew in order.

>>What I have been wondering is, were a few of the boilers lit to get heating and lights on board?<<

Yes they did have boilers lit to provide steam for the ships power plant for lights, the ships refrigerators and the wireless and to provide heat where needed. The heat was probably not on in most passenger cabins because they were not yet occupied.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As I understand it, there were few if any provisions for shoreside power and support back in those days, even in Southampton. For this reason, some of the boilers...probably in Boiler Room One...were kept on line to provide for essential services and steam to run the generators.

Smaller vessels had what was known as donkey boilers for just that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.