The woman and child in Collapsible A

M

Matthew Bird

anyone else think it strange that the woman managed to keep herself and the girl in the boat while the rest toppled out.

May 27, 2007
Matthew >>anyone else think it strange that the woman managed to keep herself and the girl in the boat while the rest toppled out.<<

Hi Matthew-
Not really. If she had a good grip. I always wondered if it was Rhoda (Rosa) Abbott and her son Eugene. Unfortunately most accounts of what she did during the sinking were fragmentary so there's no clean account of how she ended up in Collapsible A. She was traveling with her two sons Rossmore 16 and Eugene 13. Eugene was rather old to be considered a child but he might of looked young for his age. Study Rhoda Abbott in passenger biographies and her two sons and judge for yourself. Theirs a photo of Eugene on his bio. There was also an article (Rhoda (Rosa) Abbott revealed) about the Abbott family that was quite good. Does it give what age the child was in the account? Rhoda was the only woman still alive by the time Fifth Officer Lowe rescued the occupants in the boat in the morning after the sinking.

M

Matthew Bird

I think Cameron made it up, though as Rhoda was the only woman in A- maybe the young woman in the film was 'replacing her' sort off. Rhoda was older wasn't she. Maybe we just didn't see Rhoda in the boat.

Its the little girl Cal uses to get into the boat, i assumed she went into to water but after watching the film again i saw her in the boat with all the men who climbed in and the woman looking after her and then the two of them on Carpathia.

Just seemed like quite a hard thing to do, though i suppose its not impossible.

May 27, 2007
Mind over matter. Survival instinct. Super human strength. You'll be surprised what people will do when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

M

Matthew Bird

yep, basically it, i suppose running on adrenaline(sic).

Shame a child wasn't saved in Boat A in real life.

M

Matthew Bird

As to Rhoda- maybe she was among the crowd of third class passengers who apparently appeared out of the Grand staircase entrances just as the water started washing onto the Boat deck- there were many women among them.

May 27, 2007
Actually she was on deck earlier. A friend Amy Stanley saw her and her two sons step back as she got into the boat.

from Mary (Rhoda) Abbott's Biography on this site.

Quote:

"Amy Stanley later recalled:

"We were very close since we were on the Titanic together. And her stateroom had been near mine. I was the only one that she could talk to about her sons because I knew them myself. She told me that she would get [sic] in the lifeboat if there hadn't been so many people around. So she and her sons kept together. She was thankful that [the] three of them had stayed with her on that piece of wreckage (Collapsible A?). The youngest went first then the other son went. She grew numb and cold and couldn't remember when she got on the Carpathia."

Read her Bio. She had an interesting but ultimately sad and hard life.

M

Matthew Bird

Wonder why she didn't get in a boat- probably the boys were barred or something.

I find her interesting since she's the only woman left after Collapsible D left to survive....

May 27, 2007
I think your right. They wouln't let the boys through. If only they had went to the starboard side Murdoch would probably let boys through, but by the time they had got up to the port side boat deck it was to late in the sinking to really go wondering around.

May 27, 2007
Starboard side? well I got my info from Pellegrino and god knows where he got it. So I concede defeat on that.

Yes I saw that article but there's inconsistencies with how she got on collapsible A.. If you notice my earlier post about what happened it has Amy Stanley recalling that Mrs. Abbott was on a piece of wreckage with her boys while the article has both boys being lost from Mrs. Abbott's side when the ship made it final plunge. Knit picking I know but the account of what Mrs. Abbott did that night was very vague and I go with Amy Stanley because she was there. The Article has references from Echoes in the Night by Frank J.W. Goldsmith which is nothing to brush off either. I'm stumped.

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Hi George
If you go into ET research articles, Bob Bracken wrote a lengthy article on Rhoda that answers your questions. It was originally published in TIS's Voyage magazine. Also, Senan Molony published an article for the White Star Journal where he discusses evidence that showed boat A was full and ready to be launched when the ship sank.

May 27, 2007
Thank You Mike.

I read the Article by Bracken and it was good. I'd take what he says over Pellegrino. Senan's article I haven't read. If he says boat A was full I'll go with him on that. I wondered though Mike if Mrs. Abbott was on a piece if wreckage or Collapsible A. or Titanic when she lost her sons. Most accounts have her pulled from the Sea. But Amy Stanley's account has Mrs. Abbott and her sons on a piece of wreckage where she lost one and then the other. Miss Stanley was with Mrs. Abbott on the Carpathia to New York and knew the Abbott Family on Titanic so she would have talked with Mrs. Abbott about what happened. Of course Frank Goldsmith's Mother knew Rhoda on Titanic as well. He wrote in his memoir of the sinking "Echoes in the Night" that she was pulled aboard boat A after the ship sunk from the water. So was she on boat A with her boys or was she on the ship when she lost her boys or a piece of wreckage? Its the mystery that got me. I always thought she and her sons came up on the port side and of course they wouldn't let her boys on. I guess she assumed on the starboard side that they wouldn't let her boys on so she didn't board the lifeboat with her friend Amy Stanley. I guess what I have questions on are why she didn't get into a lifeboat with her sons. Were she and they stopped by an officer or did they just assume that the two boys wouldn't be allowed in the boat? Were they all together in boat A and the boys die from exposure later in boat A or were they all in the sea when she lost them? On a piece of wreckage. Questions to many questions. Thats just the way I am. Thanks again Mike.
happy.gif