The World

• Thread starter Jeannine Kleinschmidt
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeannine Kleinschmidt

Did anyone else see the documentary on the Travel Channel about a cruise ship called "The World?" Apparently, if you have $5 mil or so to plunk down, you get to "rent" a suite of rooms for 50 years on this boat (including a private balcony with jacuzzi tub) and travel to ports all over the world. Guests are permitted aboard too, although only for the amount of time they can afford to pay for. Sounds like one way to retire and not get bored with the scenery outside your window!
happy.gif
Check out the link at http://www.aboardtheworld.com/

Cheers!
Jeannine

Apr 24, 2002
Hi Jeannine,

The "World" is a regular visitor to the Thames in London, it always docks at Greenwich,(5 mins from where i live) have seen it at least 3 times,

Cliff

J

Jeannine Kleinschmidt

Hi Cliff,

Cool that you've actually seen it in person. It looks pretty big from what I saw of it on tv. I wouldn't mind being a guest, but I'm not sure I'd want to live permanently on the high seas. Still, for those with wanderlust, its a great way to live!

Cheers!
Jeannine

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I also saw "The World"; it was anchored off Kailua-Kona, on Friday, March 3rd; this was the same day that the Queen Mary 2 was anchored off shore.

Personally, in comparison by size and outward appearance, I prefer the Queen Mary 2.

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I have a friend who has a condo on this ship. I haven't spent time on it yet, but from the pictures the residences look roomy and comfortable just like on land.

J

Jeannine Kleinschmidt

John,

Would you believe I have the 2-hour QM2 documentary and STILL haven't watched it yet? I think it came out around the time the ship was launched. From photos I've seen of the interior, it looks palatial and magnificent--but, alas, its not the Titanic. I'm just partial to her.

Lucky you, Joe! I hope you do get to experience it firsthand, it looks wonderfully inviting inside. I looked at the schedule for 2006, and it appears they are in the far east, Australia and New Zealand until late in the year, when they come across the BIG pond to S. America. I think I'd prefer Europe and West Africa, myself. Maybe the Caribbean, too. Wonder where she was during the tsunami in 2004??

Cheers!
Jeannine

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Jeannine, when I get home, I'll have to scan and submit a picture of "The World", that I took when it and the Queen Mary 2 were docked off the Big Island of Hawaii. There is at least one shot taken from the shores of Hawaii of both ships, in the "Queen Mary 2: The View From Aboard" thread.

J

Jeannine Kleinschmidt

John,

I just checked out your photos on the other thread, and you've got some really good shots there! Seeing The World next to the QM2, I totally agree with you--the QM2 is a MUCH nicer-looking ship. Maybe once the kids get out of college, and if we ever get the bills paid off, we'll take a cruise on it someday...(dreaming) My Dad was stationed at Pearl Harbor and Maui during WWII. I've never been to Hawaii, but my sister and her family and also my husband has. It looks heavenly!

Cheers!
Jeannine

Status
Not open for further replies.