The worst named liners

Feb 14, 2011
Which liners had the worst names?

I think contendors would be the Ionic, the Doric, the Cufic, the Ceramic and the Rex.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Bovic. Limburgia. Thuringia. Tyrhhenia. Hamonic. Noronic. Suffren. Covadonga. Arosa Kulm. Hrvatska. Klek.

Worst: Marine Flasher.

May 12, 2005
Jim, I believe Tarn asked for names of ships, not pharmaceuticals! (Next you'll be telling us there was an SS Acidic or perhaps an RMS Putrid.)

Apr 11, 2001
Suffren- what a great name for the current rash of germ-laden cruise ships- and maybe RMS Epidemic and Paragoric for running mates!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Carabobo. Heredia. Lux. Munamar. Munargo. Agwileon. Comus. Momus. Irwin. Esther Weems. Nacoochee. Ourcq.

Feb 14, 2011
Thuringia????

That sounds like the name of disease!

Klek??????
Sounds like the name of a character from Star trek.....

There was aliner called "Boris"...
Thats pretty bad too...

Feb 14, 2011
Plus im tot too keen on the names Ecstacy, Sensation or Orgasm..
Such names are not quite suited for ocean liners...

Tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Above is Particularly Grim if paired with The Marine Flasher.

KLEK- had a sister ship: Viseveca

The there was the Bohinj, which began life as the Gouverneur Galopin.

In the Titanic roster, Trautenfels is fairly un-euphonic.

Feb 14, 2011
There is a ship named Orgasm..Ill see if i can find out who owns her..
There was also the Vulnavia (which also happened to be the name of Vincent Price's assistant in the Abominable Dr Phibes movies).

I still think the Rex had an awful name- Beautiful ship, but with a dogs name...

Homeric isnt much better...

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Before this goes too far (if it hasn't already), remember, gentlemen, that there are children about.

A

Alex McLean

Mark,
Very little about the subject at hand can be brought up on this web site that we do not know about already. ^_^

Must admit though, it is an awful name.
Keep in mind that Rex is Latin for King, although all ships are referred to as 'shes' (except for the Nazi Bismarck), it still does not appeal to me. White Star had some of the worst names ever. One of my friend's nicknames is Nordic (Say very slowly and with a Teutonic accent). Homeric, Ceramic, Coptic, Vedic, Cymric, Runic and all those other ones were never that nice. As I have said time and time again, how about Heroic?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's true there were some liners with unfortunate names, but never forget the heroic crews of the Royal Navy's 'flower' class corvettes in WW2 who wore names like Poppy, Violet, Buttercup and Pansy on their hat bands. For these guys, action in the North Atlantic was a welcome relief from the more serious fighting that took place immediately after their arrival in any dockside pub.

Dec 8, 2000
I've always been inordinately fond of the Leyland Line's SS Lesbian. The Inman Line's 'City of ...' names can be quite funny too: just think of any town you regard as being a bit of a hole. Likewise Union Castle's '....... Castle' convention. And who'd want to travel on Cunard's ominously named SS Siberia? One way ticket only, perhaps? Also think of the confusion of Cunard's Bothnia/Bosnia and the further possibilities for those with a lisp.
happy.gif

Proving the old rule on subjectivity and humour and otherwise being in the eye of the beholder, I quite like Homeric (think classical epic poetry) or Thuringia (wouldn't mind visiting there one day). It's some of the current names that I find really appalling and sadly unimaginative.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I still maintain that all these liners have very sensible names compared with the Royal Navy's best efforts. Where but under the white ensign would you finds vessels that were Arrogant, Surly, Insolent and Vindictive? (sounds like my old school report). And gawd knows what antics took place on Teaser, Tickler, Spanker and Frolic.