Saxonia II
Titanica
Russian
Triton
cassic

A

Alex McLean

Ray,
Amerika was a ship, as was Virginian (read the lists of other ships involved with Titanic), Saxonia II was also a ship. Virginia was, to my understanding, a US battleship sometime in the Cold War (West Virginia was at Pearl Harbor), Runic was apparently the ship Cheif Officer Wilde was to be transferred to and I believe I saw a tug in Southampton called the Triton last year.

B

Breanna E Sage

I'm all for the Name Briannic, as it is indeed my first name. Alex got it wrong, although i am commonly called Breanna. I like the name Glassic, Evassic or maybe just Classic?? Thats if these names dont already exist.
Cheers,
Bree.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
For some reason I've ended up in this thread.

s.s.Ur? Ur of the Chaldees - an ancient city and civilization somewhere between Basra and Baghdad. The benefits of a classical education!

Runic was also a Shaw Savill name. I seem to recall their last so-named ran up on a reef in Australian waters and became a total loss c.1960.

Noel

A

Andrew Johnston

By the way, there is Carnival Fascination, Carnival Ecstasy etc....

Carnival Sensation is worse... but there IS NOT a Carnival Orgasm... (earlier there was confusion...)

Feb 14, 2011
A ship called Orgasm wouldnt surprise me-
I knew a person in college naked Orgasmo, so anything in this world is possible...

regards

tarn

A

Andrew Johnston

OH dear let's stop this people! Haha NAMED is what they meant...!

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
One of my Least favorite ship names is "Gigantic", which the britannic was originally suppost to be named or at least rumored to be originally named. The Name Britannic sounds much better

A

Andrew Johnston

yes... altho its interesting to think that the Britannic could have gone down in history with a different name... an odd one at that....

Jim Wilke

Jul 12, 2004
Consider the contemporary appeal, particularly with the ancient Mesopotamian ship "Wild Flying Cow" or the 19th century White Star cattle freighter "Bovic." Both were appropriate; the ancient vessel named for the venerated animal, and the 19th century freighter named in the classical tradition for its cargo.

In regards to Gigantic, consider the same. In 1911 it was a great name, bearing the stamp of ancient legend with imposition of size, much like its sisters named for the mountain home of the gods and their contenders. Compared to Gigantic, Leviathan sounds rather Chautaqua.

D

Daniel Ehlers

I always thought the White Star Line struggled a little in the whole name department... Ceramic, Calgaric, Traffic, Medic, Magnetic, Bardic.... I guess there were worse "ic" names though that they could've used... I still think Patriotic would've been a good name for those post-World War I years.

As for other lines, Matson's Malolo and Hapag's Blucher (always reminds me of "Young Frankenstein") and Ypiranga are all pretty bad... And then all of the Carnival ones, which are apparently just coming short of being adult movie titles...

Then some of those dam HAL boats (by that i mean "-dam" of course)... Zaandam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam...

May 12, 2005
In the first folder for this thread, several of us had engaged in a light discussion of some of the more unbelievable names for ships. Of course, one particular ET member, known for his humor, contributed many possibly erroneous names to the list.

I was reminded of his wit recently when a friend showed me an old photo of a ship in harbor called the "Slutera." I just couldn't help but imagine the nickname for that boat!

Jul 9, 2004
Wow! Interesting - and funny - topic.

I don't think I've seen any ships/boats named badly enough to contribute anything to this, but when my brother was younger and in one of his earlier White Star Line spells... he came up with some possible names for fictitious WSL Liners:

Horrific
Ballardic
Funnelic

Okay... they aren't good at all... and now me and my brother's list of satirical Carnival ships - after they started the Spirit class their names got a little ridiculous... and things seem expected to get worse after "CARNIVAL MIRACLE!!!1!1!"

Carnival Tome
Immaculation (Fantasy Class)
Enfatuation
Clarification
Carnival Violence
Carnival "Lite"
Carnival JOY
Carnival Happy
Carnival Holiness
Expiration
Carnival Super
Intelligence
Carnival Phat
Intimidation
Constipation
Carnival Surprise
Disappointment
Carnival Tyrrany
Stupidity
Carnival Defeat
Abrasion
etc., etc., etc.,

And the best for last:

CARNIVAL EGO

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I don't mind the Gothic so much...it conjures up images of Gothic and Gothic Revivial architecture. Grand, sweeping cathedrals and arches etc. Of course, I'm not adverse to the literary movement so skewered by Jane Austen in 'Northanger Abbey" either.

Ceramic seems a little odd in the context of a ship's name, but it's not unpleasant...it's rather pretty, and has some nice connotations, if perhaps a touch fragile (like 'porcelain'). But then, I'm very fond of the old Ceramic - as were many of her crew. I have some very nice copies of photos taken aboard her.

Runic is another one that I'm quite fond of for the connotations of the word. Every time I see it a line or two of Henry Kendall's poetry rattles through my head in fairly disjointed fashion:

"...For the paths are grown over, untrodden by men now;
Shut your ears, stranger,”￾ saith the grey mother, crooning
Her sorcery runic, when sets the half-moon in.