The worst named liners

Feb 14, 2011
If the 'worst name' department were applied to small pleasure craft, it would fill pages- I work on Boston Harbor, and cringe when i see a boat with a phrase as a name. Boats that i have seen that had names such as 'If it ain't one thing, it's another", "Hole In One", 'Gone fishing', 'Three Day Weekend' and 'The Other woman' should be scuttled on the spot...

Jan 2, 2008
I always hated the name Cedric, my grandparents had a dog named Cedric! Not a very regal name for a ship sounds more like a grumpy old man. S.S Romantic would have been nice for a White Star ship. S.S Bubonic anyone?

[Moderator's Note: This message has been edited to remove potentially offensive language, and a subsequent message has been removed for the same reason. MAB]

T

Timothy Trower

We had a long-lived cat named Cedric. He was a small, black farm cat that originally rejoiced in the name Lusitania until we discovered that my father in law didn't know the difference between the sexes when it came to cats!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I think boat names should be chosen so that they sound sensible when a Mayday is sent. I once knew a yacht called East of the Lizard (an obscure reference to ancient navigation). Imagine the confusion of "Mayday, Mayday. This is East of the Lizard."

Motor boats seem to be the worst offenders. I've seen speedboats with names too crude for this virtuous forum.

A really cheeky name was given to a small trimaran I knew, namely Tritanic.