The Worst Titanic Movie Scene EVER

S

sharon rutman

Here's a goodie that has been overlooked--how about Cal playing Sherlock Holmes demanding that every inch of his stateroom be photographed after the bogus robbery of the diamond. Even when Rose primly informs Cal that something serious had happened, Cal is still pretty oblivious, but has Jack arrested on trumped up robbery charges and has him hauled off. Then ever the proper Edwardian gentleman, Cal starts slapping Rose around as a steward interrupts to sternly inform them to put on warm clothes, get their life jackets on and go up on deck at once. Oh boy!

Reactions: 1 user
>>how about Cal playing Sherlock Holmes demanding that every inch of his stateroom be photographed after the bogus robbery of the diamond.<<

A really pompous jerk might do just that. The trouble is that it strikes me as being a bit anachronistic. What liner carried detectives trained in that sort of forensic work, much less with the equipment to do so?

I think I can count them all on one hand with five fingers to spare!

S

sharon rutman

Sorry, Cal, there was no CSI Titanic back then. I think a ship colliding with an iceberg trumps some bogus stolen property.

I never liked the "Navaho Rag" scene in the 1953 film. It looked kind of silly, and a bit out of place in the prim and proper world of 1912. Yes, I know the song dates back to then, but it just doesn't fit. It's also hard to believe any young would just start singing and dancing like that on the deck, esp if the girl he's trying to impress is a member of (supposed) society.
Also, the whole of Jack and Rose and the locked gate could have been omitted, in my opinion, it just added unnecessary suspense. We already had Rose hack Jack out of the handcuffs!

>>how about Cal playing Sherlock Holmes demanding that every inch of his stateroom be photographed after the bogus robbery of the diamond.<<

There is actually a book entitled "Sherlock Holmes and the Titanic Tragedy - A Case to Remember"....but it has nothing to do with Cal and "The Heart of the Ocean." LOL .

S

sharon rutman

How about when Rose is putting Jack's naughty drawing of her into the safe so she stick it to Cal? I have a question--how is it that Rose has the combination to Cal's safe? Cal must really be dumb to let a 17 year old girl be privy to such confidential information!

>>Cal must really be dumb to let a 17 year old girl be privy to such confidential information!<<

Could be he thought he could trust her. A bad move in retrospect, but I'm sure he was happy that she didn't nick his cash.

S

sharon rutman

Michael--weren't Rose and Ruth supposedly broke? What was to stop Rose from stuffing her corset with a big fat wad of her beloved's cash? The reason the rich stayed rich is that they kept confidential information like combinations to their safes under lock and key

Hi Sharon, I don't think it would have mattered much if Rose took 'big wads' from Cal. I mean, look at that rock he put around her neck! No, I don't think it would have mattered to him at all. Rose and her mother were indeed broke by Ruth's own admission, and so they both must have been "kept" by Cal. Besides, if extra money went missing, he'd know who took it.

S

sharon rutman

How about the scenes where Cal's violent temper surfaces over and over again? First he knocks over the breakfast table after Rose goes slumming with Jack in Third Class. Then after Rose returns to his cabin after the ship hits the berg, he starts smacking her around. What's worse Rose seemed so resigned to Cal's abusive behavior and is bracing for him to slap her. Yikes.

Sharon,

While I agree with you in that it is wrong for Cal to slap Rose around like he did, you have to look at in historical context. Back in 1912 it was common for a man to slap a woman around and the women knew it.

And what recourse did Rose or Ruth really have? They were entirely dependent upon Cal. If he slapped Rose around, what could she really have done? (other than marrying Cal and then bumping him off for the money ~ a plot that would have been a good segue into the Hercule Poirot mystery -"Death on the Titanic"- has a good ring to it, no? Irony here.)
happy.gif

>>Michael--weren't Rose and Ruth supposedly broke?<<

Any broker, and they would have been wearing old wine barrals to cover themselves up!

>>What was to stop Rose from stuffing her corset with a big fat wad of her beloved's cash?<<

Other then disinterest, nothing whatever.

>>What's worse Rose seemed so resigned to Cal's abusive behavior and is bracing for him to slap her. Yikes.<<

Such behaviour would be regarded as not only immoral, but illegal today, but in 1912, it was widely understood that if the lady of the house got slapped around, that she somehow "Had It Coming To Her."

Risable by our reckoning, but it's consistant with the mindset of 1912.

>>Let's consider the worst scenes from Titanic movies of all times whether they be blockbusters or documentaries!<<

Granted that "Titanic (1953)" is a leading contender for "The Worst Titanic Movie Ever" but that scene in which Giff, Annette and all the college bunch are sitting around the piano singing fight songs and alma maters...Captain Smith comes into the lounge , sits down and muses while calmly smoking his pipe...Meanwhile the ship strikes the iceberg..That must rank somewhere in the top ten of worst scenes ?

Excuse me...a bit of inaccuracy in the above
(From the dialogue between Sturges and the Rev. Healey) :
"Did we hit it ?"
"No....It hit us !"

S

sharon rutman

Michael--Rose wasn't married to Cal-yet! So she wasn't the Lady of the Manor, technically speaking. Despite her outward shows of bravado, Rose was nothing more than a submissive rag doll when pitted against overwhelming male superiority.