The Worst Titanic Movie Scene EVER

S

sharon rutman

How about when Rose is putting Jack's naughty drawing of her into the safe so she stick it to Cal? I have a question--how is it that Rose has the combination to Cal's safe? Cal must really be dumb to let a 17 year old girl be privy to such confidential information!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Cal must really be dumb to let a 17 year old girl be privy to such confidential information!<<

Could be he thought he could trust her. A bad move in retrospect, but I'm sure he was happy that she didn't nick his cash.

S

sharon rutman

Michael--weren't Rose and Ruth supposedly broke? What was to stop Rose from stuffing her corset with a big fat wad of her beloved's cash? The reason the rich stayed rich is that they kept confidential information like combinations to their safes under lock and key

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Hi Sharon, I don't think it would have mattered much if Rose took 'big wads' from Cal. I mean, look at that rock he put around her neck! No, I don't think it would have mattered to him at all. Rose and her mother were indeed broke by Ruth's own admission, and so they both must have been "kept" by Cal. Besides, if extra money went missing, he'd know who took it.

S

sharon rutman

How about the scenes where Cal's violent temper surfaces over and over again? First he knocks over the breakfast table after Rose goes slumming with Jack in Third Class. Then after Rose returns to his cabin after the ship hits the berg, he starts smacking her around. What's worse Rose seemed so resigned to Cal's abusive behavior and is bracing for him to slap her. Yikes.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
And what recourse did Rose or Ruth really have? They were entirely dependent upon Cal. If he slapped Rose around, what could she really have done? (other than marrying Cal and then bumping him off for the money ~ a plot that would have been a good segue into the Hercule Poirot mystery -"Death on the Titanic"- has a good ring to it, no? Irony here.)
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Michael--weren't Rose and Ruth supposedly broke?<<

Any broker, and they would have been wearing old wine barrals to cover themselves up!

>>What was to stop Rose from stuffing her corset with a big fat wad of her beloved's cash?<<

Other then disinterest, nothing whatever.

>>What's worse Rose seemed so resigned to Cal's abusive behavior and is bracing for him to slap her. Yikes.<<

Such behaviour would be regarded as not only immoral, but illegal today, but in 1912, it was widely understood that if the lady of the house got slapped around, that she somehow "Had It Coming To Her."

Risable by our reckoning, but it's consistant with the mindset of 1912.

May 3, 2005
>>Let's consider the worst scenes from Titanic movies of all times whether they be blockbusters or documentaries!<<

Granted that "Titanic (1953)" is a leading contender for "The Worst Titanic Movie Ever" but that scene in which Giff, Annette and all the college bunch are sitting around the piano singing fight songs and alma maters...Captain Smith comes into the lounge , sits down and muses while calmly smoking his pipe...Meanwhile the ship strikes the iceberg..That must rank somewhere in the top ten of worst scenes ?

Excuse me...a bit of inaccuracy in the above
(From the dialogue between Sturges and the Rev. Healey) :
"Did we hit it ?"
"No....It hit us !"

S

sharon rutman

Michael--Rose wasn't married to Cal-yet! So she wasn't the Lady of the Manor, technically speaking. Despite her outward shows of bravado, Rose was nothing more than a submissive rag doll when pitted against overwhelming male superiority.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Personally, I thought the scene with Rose and Cal having breakfast was brilliantly portrayed, particularly by Billy Zane.

From todays (or any days) moral standpoint it was pretty abhorrent, but as a sequence of dialogue and acting I thought it was excellent.

BTW, I absolutely love "Raise the Titanic".

There. I've said it!

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
That is so true during that time period. My grandmother has often told me about a great aunt of mine - who finally had had enough of her husbands "Had it Coming" abuse (she stayed with him for 25 years and after the kids were grown and gone) one day - when he fell asleep (with the help of some whiskey) - she tied his arms and legs to the bed and she hit him several times with a cast iron frying pan - called a taxi and all she took was clothing - she left him and went to her mothers house. It is a miracle she didn't kill him - she didn't - but she never heard from him again.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Perhaps not the worst scene, but certainly one of the weirdest, is the striptease in the German Titanic of 1943. It starts promisingly, but turns out to be very tame. A pity really, as the lady is rather nicely built.

Feb 14, 2011
That "Wormy on the hooky" line is a bit hard to top, but that idiotic and pointless rape scene in the 1996 flick with Catherine Zeta-Jones would be a most ignoble contender."

Those are definately the 2 worst scenes-
In regards to scenes plagued with historical inaccuracy, I'd have to include most of the scenes from the Nazi propaganda film 'Titanic'. As a historic film that explains what happened when the Titanic sank- that film is worthless-But it shines if one is interested in studying an example of anti British propaganda churned out by the Nazis...

Feb 14, 2011
"No argument from me Michael--that was a truly over the top moment which had no redeeming value and managed to degrade the Titanic into some cheap soap opera."

That sums up the 1953 Titanic film for me- Now THAT movie played like a typical bad soap opera from the 1950-
All that was missing was the cheezy soap opera organ music...

Jul 21, 2008
I'm currently halfway through the 1996 bilge...er, miniseries, and will try to finish tonight after taking care of some work. But with that much I'm going with the rape scene. It's disgusting on so many levels. In the least, it's inaccurate. There were NO shower stalls in the ship. Second, it's sensationalist and pointless. How can one of the most fascinating achievements in human history suddenly become the backdrop for Tim Curry's evil plot to rape a steerage girl? And lastly, it just took me out of the show. None of the fictional storylines really grip me (worsened by the appalling historical errors and Marilu Henner's *awful* portrayal of the great Margaret Brown) and for the filmmakers to stoop to such tasteless levels is a disgrace to the ship in my opinion. Just goes to show that the more attention you pay to the actual history, the better the film should be (Dialogue aside, I don't have a problem with the Jack and Rose saga like some do, although I understand frustration with them getting attention over the real folks and do love poking holes in various moments i.e. Cal chasing after them with the gun).

And just for the record, I think Curry is by all means a capable actor but I just cannot stand his Simon Doonan character. I know he's supposed to be the bad guy, but Curry's performance is just so bombastic it's hard to take him seriously as he snarls each line through his curled teeth.

May 3, 2005
Marshall Garvey-
Quote:
>>And just for the record, I think Curry is by all means a capable actor but I just cannot stand his Simon Doonan character. I know he's supposed to be the bad guy, but Curry's performance is just so bombastic it's hard to take him seriously as he snarls each line through his curled teeth.
Unquote

You expect the Curry performance to be twirling his moustache any moment.

George C. Scott's portrayal of Captain E.J. Smith comes off more like General George C. Patton and the Catherine Zeta-Jones sub-plot comes off more like a lame soap opera. Bah ! Humbug !

As many of us consider Jeremy Brett the ultimate Sherlock Holmes, IMHO Bernard Hill is the ultimate (if in appearance only ) Captain Smith .(Tie with Laurence Naismith....Who comes across as the better actor if a tie-breaker is needed ...Just came across a note that he was also a Merchant Seaman before becoming an actor.)