The Worst Titanic Movie Scene EVER

Personally, I thought the scene with Rose and Cal having breakfast was brilliantly portrayed, particularly by Billy Zane.

From todays (or any days) moral standpoint it was pretty abhorrent, but as a sequence of dialogue and acting I thought it was excellent.

BTW, I absolutely love "Raise the Titanic".

There. I've said it!

>>Michael--Rose wasn't married to Cal-yet!<<

I know but in the context of 1912, it wouldn't have mattered a whole lot. The attitude of "She Had It Coming" was all over the place.

Beth Barber

That is so true during that time period. My grandmother has often told me about a great aunt of mine - who finally had had enough of her husbands "Had it Coming" abuse (she stayed with him for 25 years and after the kids were grown and gone) one day - when he fell asleep (with the help of some whiskey) - she tied his arms and legs to the bed and she hit him several times with a cast iron frying pan - called a taxi and all she took was clothing - she left him and went to her mothers house. It is a miracle she didn't kill him - she didn't - but she never heard from him again.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps not the worst scene, but certainly one of the weirdest, is the striptease in the German Titanic of 1943. It starts promisingly, but turns out to be very tame. A pity really, as the lady is rather nicely built.

That "Wormy on the hooky" line is a bit hard to top, but that idiotic and pointless rape scene in the 1996 flick with Catherine Zeta-Jones would be a most ignoble contender."

Those are definately the 2 worst scenes-
In regards to scenes plagued with historical inaccuracy, I'd have to include most of the scenes from the Nazi propaganda film 'Titanic'. As a historic film that explains what happened when the Titanic sank- that film is worthless-But it shines if one is interested in studying an example of anti British propaganda churned out by the Nazis...

"No argument from me Michael--that was a truly over the top moment which had no redeeming value and managed to degrade the Titanic into some cheap soap opera."

That sums up the 1953 Titanic film for me- Now THAT movie played like a typical bad soap opera from the 1950-
All that was missing was the cheezy soap opera organ music...

>>All that was missing was the cheezy soap opera organ music...<<

Don't give anyone any ideas! We might just see that come to pass!
shock.gif

I'm currently halfway through the 1996 bilge...er, miniseries, and will try to finish tonight after taking care of some work. But with that much I'm going with the rape scene. It's disgusting on so many levels. In the least, it's inaccurate. There were NO shower stalls in the ship. Second, it's sensationalist and pointless. How can one of the most fascinating achievements in human history suddenly become the backdrop for Tim Curry's evil plot to rape a steerage girl? And lastly, it just took me out of the show. None of the fictional storylines really grip me (worsened by the appalling historical errors and Marilu Henner's *awful* portrayal of the great Margaret Brown) and for the filmmakers to stoop to such tasteless levels is a disgrace to the ship in my opinion. Just goes to show that the more attention you pay to the actual history, the better the film should be (Dialogue aside, I don't have a problem with the Jack and Rose saga like some do, although I understand frustration with them getting attention over the real folks and do love poking holes in various moments i.e. Cal chasing after them with the gun).

And just for the record, I think Curry is by all means a capable actor but I just cannot stand his Simon Doonan character. I know he's supposed to be the bad guy, but Curry's performance is just so bombastic it's hard to take him seriously as he snarls each line through his curled teeth.

Marshall Garvey-
Quote:
>>And just for the record, I think Curry is by all means a capable actor but I just cannot stand his Simon Doonan character. I know he's supposed to be the bad guy, but Curry's performance is just so bombastic it's hard to take him seriously as he snarls each line through his curled teeth.
Unquote

You expect the Curry performance to be twirling his moustache any moment.

George C. Scott's portrayal of Captain E.J. Smith comes off more like General George C. Patton and the Catherine Zeta-Jones sub-plot comes off more like a lame soap opera. Bah ! Humbug !

As many of us consider Jeremy Brett the ultimate Sherlock Holmes, IMHO Bernard Hill is the ultimate (if in appearance only ) Captain Smith .(Tie with Laurence Naismith....Who comes across as the better actor if a tie-breaker is needed ...Just came across a note that he was also a Merchant Seaman before becoming an actor.)

JMGraber

Anything with George C. Scott in it must be in the top 20 or 30 of a list of 100 bad Titanic scenes. However, I will ask you guys what was Scott's worst scene in that mini-series.

This is an old thread that has been inactive for over 5 years now, but just out of curiosity I thought I would do a review of the 1943 German Nazi Propaganda "Titanic" and the 1929 "Atlantic".
If you watch these movies closely, you can see parts of these movies copied in later movies.
These have been noted on other posts.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it was on the Titanic Channel segment about the Nazi version that said the version that is around today is an edited version of the movie by the russians that was shown to the east germans after WW2. Do you know if this is true or that if the original version exists somewhere? They said that parts were edited out that didn't align with soviet/communist beliefs.