The Worst Titanic Movie Scene EVER

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Little late for this, too.
In looking over reviews and comments on the 1953 "Titanic" it seems that everyone but those on the Titanic forums on this website thought the movie was great, mainly due to the acting of Webb and Stanwyck.
There was little or no mention of historical accuracy.
The over-dramatic sinking finale, the singing crowds, the siren, the blasting of the whistle, etc. The inaccuracies are so apparent that there’s no need to bring them up :D

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
I nearly brought up my dang lunch watching the Jack and Rose saga. The most idiotic and side-splitting worst scene in any MGY movie is the one with Susan St. James and David Warner standing on deck right before the collision. She's wearing a flimsy confection with sleeves well above the elbows. There was no breeze. I calculated that with the wind speed it was 4f on deck when MGY struck the berg.

May 3, 2005
To be honest, when I first saw the 1953 "Titanic" movie , I don't remember as even ever heard of the Titanic disaster, much less anything about "Molly" Brown. The interest in Titanic did not come until much later with the 1997 movie and especially with this website. So I was completely ignorant of the historical incorrectness at that time.

Coincindentally, it was about this time period that I also saw the 1954 movie "The Caine Mutiny." My main complaint on this and other "Navy" movies is that they are centered on the Commissioned Officers.....That is, Ensigns to Fleet Admirals. Enlisted Men....That is, Seaman Recruits to Chief Petty Officers....Are often depicted as slovenly, sloppy and ignorant. I met a lot of both Officers, and especially Enlisted Men , who were very sharp, neat and intelligent during my service in the USN, as an enlisted man from ETSR to ET1 during my short (4 years) in the USN.

Of course, I did realize that both of these movies were highly fictional , if not mostly fictional.

Of course, there's Jack and Rose. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXComments Deleted By CensorXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reactions: 1 user
May 3, 2005
Maybe it is just because the average life of an enlisted man in the United States Navy during peace time is anything but exciting and not much material for some sort of epic movie. The main thing among my liittle group was just counting the days untl our "date of separation" LOL. Of course we just went though the day-to-day duties and routines in a regulation manner. I don't think even Jean Negulesco could have done much with it. LOL

Kas01

May 24, 2018
Sensationalism sells. More people want to see Propeller Guy bounce off the screws than watch him slowly go into cardiac arrest due to hypothermic shock. And some of these tropes are so engrained in popular culture that the truth just seems bizarre by comparison (i.e. "Maggie" Brown actively trying to suppress a Midwestern accent rather than "Molly" Brown sounding like she got lost on her way to play an extra in Deliverance).

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Sensationalism sells. More people want to see Propeller Guy bounce off the screws than watch him slowly go into cardiac arrest due to hypothermic shock. And some of these tropes are so engrained in popular culture that the truth just seems bizarre by comparison (i.e. "Maggie" Brown actively trying to suppress a Midwestern accent rather than "Molly" Brown sounding like she got lost on her way to play an extra in Deliverance).
That is one thing that many films and renditions of Molly seem to get wrong. She didn't have a western accent while on the Titanic. I had heard that she had went to great lengths even to learn to speak "properly" and would have had a high society American accent like we see with Ruth and The Countess of Rothes in the 97 movie.

May 3, 2005
Of course there are lots of stories about Mrs. Brown, so I am just mentioning some I have heard
(Quotes below.)
She had traveled all over Europe and was fluent in several languages.
She used this and was helpful in talking to and aiding survivors aboard Carpathia who could not speak or understand English.
She spoke proper English.

And "IMHO" :
Tucker McGuire's portrayal in the 1958 "A Night To Remember" is the worst.
Kathy Bates potrayal in the 1997 "Titanic" might not be the best, but possibly one of the better.
Thelma Ritter's portrayal of "Maude Young - '' A thinly disguised Mrs. J.J. Brown' " in the 1953 "Titanic" is somewhere in between the two extremes.
And again , just my opinions.

Nov 14, 2005
To be honest, when I first saw the 1953 "Titanic" movie , I don't remember as even ever heard of the Titanic disaster, much less anything about "Molly" Brown. The interest in Titanic did not come until much later with the 1997 movie and especially with this website. So I was completely ignorant of the historical incorrectness at that time.

Coincindentally, it was about this time period that I also saw the 1954 movie "The Caine Mutiny." My main complaint on this and other "Navy" movies is that they are centered on the Commissioned Officers.....That is, Ensigns to Fleet Admirals. Enlisted Men....That is, Seaman Recruits to Chief Petty Officers....Are often depicted as slovenly, sloppy and ignorant. I met a lot of both Officers, and especially Enlisted Men , who were very sharp, neat and intelligent during my service in the USN, as an enlisted man from ETSR to ET1 during my short (4 years) in the USN.

Of course, I did realize that both of these movies were highly fictional , if not mostly fictional.

Of course, there's Jack and Rose. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXComments Deleted By CensorXXXXXXXXXXXXX
If you haven't seen it or its been a long time watch "The Sand Pebbles" Its mostly about the enlisted guys. Of course it depicts a time in the US Navy that none of us could probably relate to there are things in it that never seem to change. At least as far my experiences go. I've always liked that movie.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Don't know what version of SOS Titanic Johnathan is watching, but Susan St James was wearing a gown with sleeves well below the elbow, white gloves, and swaddling herself with a paisley shawl.Just saying.

May 3, 2005
If you haven't seen it or its been a long time watch "The Sand Pebbles" Its mostly about the enlisted guys. Of course it depicts a time in the US Navy that none of us could probably relate to there are things in it that never seem to change. At least as far my experiences go. I've always liked that movie.
Thanks, Steven-
I will have to check out that one.
Fortunately, we never had a James Cagney or a Humphrey Bogart for a Captain on the two ships on which I served. LOL

Thanks also, Robert-
Barbara Stanwyck was prettty well bundled up in her furs in her walk on the promenade deck.

Last edited:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
No offence, but everyone keeps talking about the 1953 or 1997 films having bad scenes (and to be fair, they do) but what about the terrible / creepy animated ones?

Aside from the dancing Hip-Hop dog and mashed up rooms, One of them literally used a digital cutout of the Titanic from a Ken Marschall painting! :eek:
Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 16.15.00.png

At least the other ones were actually trying to be accurate or at least stay in the same decade!

Kas01

May 24, 2018
Because we're not masochistic enough to actually watch them?

Reactions: 1 users

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I was thinking more because their so messed up, it's the equivalent of going on a stereotypical psychedelic trip with Titanic books.

However, Point taken! It's to perverse our sanity (but I wonder what Ken Marschall would have to say on the above...).

Back to Topic (and the 1953, 1958 and 1997 films)!

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
No offence, but everyone keeps talking about the 1953 or 1997 films having bad scenes (and to be fair, they do) but what about the terrible / creepy animated ones?

Aside from the dancing Hip-Hop dog and mashed up rooms, One of them literally used a digital cutout of the Titanic from a Ken Marschall painting! :eek:
View attachment 42331

At least the other ones were actually trying to be accurate or at least stay in the same decade!
That Titanic has a bulbous bow (observe the protrusion at lower right). Sacrilege and heresy, I say, for the Atlanteans to have tampered with that aspect of Mr Andrews' beautiful ship design in restoring the ship.

I have not seen many Titanic films if I will be completely honest so this will change as I educate myself -- but for me as it stands currently here are five scenes in Titanic films which I vehemently object to (in no particular order):

1) Any scene in the 1943 Nazi propaganda film where "1st Officer Petersen" is featured -- Google the term Gary Stu / Marty Stu and the description which follows is exactly what Petersen is: an unrealistically perfect hero.
2) Jack and Rose finding themselves in one of the Boiler Rooms -- honestly with how blazing hot the boilers were it's a miracle her flowing dress did not catch fire on contact with the searing metal.
3) Murdoch's suicide -- I need not elaborate on why.
4) The announcement of Titanic's speed in the Nazi film -- 26.5 knots? Really? Also the interior of the 1st Class Dining Saloon is all wrong.
5) "Wait a minute, wait a minute, where are you going-- the movie isn't over yet! Don't you want to know what happened to everybody?" -- from the same film as the rapping dog scene. This one makes me want to raise the freaking Olympic and ram it U103-style right into the animation studio that foisted the godawful piece of work on us.

Honorable mention: while the collision scene in the 1997 movie was a stellar execution of cinematography (also that soundtrack, goodness it fits perfectly for the scene), I have to protest the inaccuracies in it -- the "Full Astern!", the incorrect depiction of the red light, the wrong controls in the engine room, and also the 'escape through the watertight doors' sequence (come on, the passages leading back up to Scotland Road are a thing, use them!).

Reactions: 1 users

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
That Titanic has a bulbous bow (observe the protrusion at lower right). Sacrilege and heresy, I say, for the Atlanteans to have tampered with that aspect of Mr Andrews' beautiful ship design in restoring the ship.

I have not seen many Titanic films if I will be completely honest so this will change as I educate myself -- but for me as it stands currently here are five scenes in Titanic films which I vehemently object to (in no particular order):

1) Any scene in the 1943 Nazi propaganda film where "1st Officer Petersen" is featured -- Google the term Gary Stu / Marty Stu and the description which follows is exactly what Petersen is: an unrealistically perfect hero.
2) Jack and Rose finding themselves in one of the Boiler Rooms -- honestly with how blazing hot the boilers were it's a miracle her flowing dress did not catch fire on contact with the searing metal.
4) The announcement of Titanic's speed in the Nazi film -- 26.5 knots? Really? Also the interior of the 1st Class Dining Saloon is all wrong.
5) "Wait a minute, wait a minute, where are you going-- the movie isn't over yet! Don't you want to know what happened to everybody?" -- from the same film as the rapping dog scene. This one makes me want to raise the freaking Olympic and ram it U103-style right into the animation studio that foisted the godawful piece of work on us.

Honorable mention: while the collision scene in the 1997 movie was a stellar execution of cinematography (also that soundtrack, goodness it fits perfectly for the scene), I have to protest the inaccuracies in it -- the "Full Astern!", the incorrect depiction of the red light, the wrong controls in the engine room, and also the 'escape through the watertight doors' sequence (come on, the passages leading back up to Scotland Road are a thing, use them!).
I could't agree more with you more on the above. Also seeing the Olympic ram U-103 (or a similar scene) in a film would be an amazing scene.

As for the 1997 film, they probably didn't know better and with some slight / clunky editing, you could re-edit the scene to make it look like they went to "Full Stop" (I think Aaron did a similar re-edit a while back).

Back to Topic!

Last edited:
May 3, 2005

I agree with your comments.
I don't consider myself a "Titanic Scholar."
Maybe a "Titanic Student". And that at the Freshman level. LOL

However I am always amazed at the quality and quantity of the research presented on these forums, even with considering the disagreement and criticism amongst those whom I consider the "experts".

About the only comments I can think of at present are :

(1) Any scene in the 1943 Nazi "Titanic" where J. Bruce Ismay is featured as the perfect villain.
(2) Jack and Rose (Yes to yours ' ) (Yes !!!! Jack and Rose - Period !!!!)
(3) Yes to yours.
(4) Yes to yours.
(5) Yes to yours.

And the following are just my own "IMHO's":

(6)Best portrayal - at least physical appearance - of Captain E.J. Smith - "Titanic" (1997)

(7) )Best portrayal -over all - of Mrs. J.J., - Margaret - Brown - "Titanic" (1997) .....
(8) Worst - "A Night To Remember" (1958)......
(9) There are probably a lot of others in that category.......including Debbie Reynolds .....LOL

Cheers !
Robert

P.S. I voted for Kathy Bates (7) because it is said she once attended SMU in University Park, part of my home town of Dallas.......LOL

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
The rest of the bottom of the ship is also curious ???
What is that supposed to be ?
And from where did that come ?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
It's from a Ken Marschall Painting and it's probably best you don't know...

Back to topic, and in terms of bad scenes, what about this one from the 2012 TV-series? When they shot any scenes on the Boat Deck, they didn't modify the set to account for any other parts of the deck and this scene (below) is the bridge made to look like it's above the 4th funnel (also no offence to the VFX Team, but you see where the set ends and the CGI begins). :(
Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 18.02.04.png

Nov 14, 2005
If I saw this it must have not made an impression as I don't remember it. I will have to give it a look. I was traveling at that time and was able to make it to Belfast for the 100th. So I probably missed it if was on tv then. I think the worst scene I saw in a Titanic movie was the rape scene in the 1996 movie with George C. Scott. Totally unnecessary.