1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

The wreck....then and now

Discussion in 'The Decaying of the Wreck' started by Arun Vajpey, May 15, 2018.

1. Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey Member

OK. The wreck of the Titanic was discovered more than 73 years after the ship sank, Then it has been 32+ years since then. Based on reports by various expeditions, how much worse is the deterioration of the wreck? Has there been a lot of obvious decay between 1985 and the present day?

2. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

Absolutely. The broken decks have collapsed further, the crows nest has broken from the mast, and the overall girth of the structure has been eaten away. That’s the sad thing about exponential decay. Is happens faster and faster every day.

3. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

They compared photos from 1987 and 2012 and found damage all over the wreck. I believe Dr. Ballard was featured in a documentary around that time and he believed the submersibles were landing on the wreck with such force that parts of it collapsed.

Before and after.

wreckcomparison.png

4. Rob Lawes

Rob Lawes Member

I find it incredible that even after all these years the Titanic's swimming pool is still full.

5. Harland Duzen

Harland Duzen Member

it makes you wonder how long Olympic might have lasted if she had been left to rot like the SS United States (which for the latter won't be continuing for too much longer... ;)). Ironically Titanic has probably lasted longer than had she been scrapped in the 30's.

Oh dear... I see what you did there.

6. The Battleship USS Texas (BB-35) , as a museum ship, which had just been "sitting and rotting" over the years , and had to undergo a lot of repairs to the damages.

7. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

Glad the Olympic was spared the disgrace of rusting away and covered with graffiti like the old Duke of Lancaster.

Dukeof_Lancaster.png

8. You would think that in certain markets where real estate is at a high premium like NYC, Hong Kong, Tokyo, San Fran..ect that some of these liners could be docked and turned into hotel spaces. I don't think it would be all that difficult especially if you could get them before they were neglected.

9. Although I think the cost was rather high in the case of the Queen Mary at Long Beach.
    And upkeep and repairs have been a continuous problem with the Battleship Texas.
    So I am not so sure if it wouldn't be very difficult and very expensive for most of those abandoned liners.

Steven Christian likes this.
  10. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

It might be too expensive to restore the ship into something that would offer investors a long-term profit. I hope the QE2 does not end up rusting away the same way the SS United States did.

As far as I can recall all of these ships were scrapped between 2000 - 2017 after decades of service and perhaps untold history.

scrapped2.png
    shipsscrapped.png

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Steven Christian likes this.
  11. Yes valid points you state. But I'm only taking markets where real estate is crazy high...almost insane. $5 billion for new Amazon headquarters building in Seattle alone.

12. So many fine ships. I was watching the Titanic Channel last night about the Queen Mary in Long Beach. It stated that she was the last riveted liner to survive. Is that true?

13. I've read estimates that by 2030-2035 she will be pretty much just be a pile of rust. The more iron the bugs eat the more they expose. Positive feedback loop.

14. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

I think she would be the last riveted 'ocean liner' to survive, although I'm sure there are plenty of coastal and river boats that were riveted and still survive today, but nothing on the scale of the giant Queen Mary.

I recall the salvage rights to secure the wreck were in jeopardy and this meant that private companies could go down and intentionally destroy the wreck or bang into it repeatedly and use cables to pull down walls and accelerate its collapse, and this would mean the restrictions that forbid all items inside the ship from being salvaged would become void as the structure would have collapsed and exposed her contents to the salvagers outside. Like breaking open the drawbridge and storming the castle. Without witnesses they could simply blame the collapse as a natural occurrance. Wish someone could drop a live webcamera down there so that her condition could be monitored 24/7.

News story about potential Titanic salvagers.

Fears Titanic wreck could be pillaged after salvage company falls into bankruptcy

Using steel cables to pull down the structure to see inside.

wreck01.png

wreck02.png
    wreck03.png

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. Scott Mills

Scott Mills Member

Honestly, I am not fully against this. Given the areas of the ship that have not been accessed, but were we able to access them might answer a number of historical questions about what happened 106 years ago, I would not necessarily be opposed to the limited use of invasive techniques to access them (particularly the boiler rooms).

This does not mean I am in favor willy-nilly ripping the wreck apart to get at the goodies inside. Rather, given how quickly the wreck is deteriorating, I would not be opposed to this type of activity if were limited in scope, well thought out, and designed to do as little damage as possible to the wreck.

16. Lars Lunden

Lars Lunden Member

Will never happen; but thinking (dreaming) loud. When the decks collapse and there is only the hull left; bring it up peace by peace (like they did with the big piece) and put it together inside a big building.

What did they do to preserve the big peace? Clean it in fresh water to remove the salt, and then coat it with something to preserve it?

I find this an interesting model. Wreck anno 1912.

17. It's all a matter of a judicial decision...lawyers, which are just paid liars. Some ignoramus judge decided that the best way to preserve Titanic for future generations is to leave it in situ and prohibit taking of historic items from the hull. The only things that can be collected are the detritus that fell out (plates, coal, etc.) as the ship broke up. For some reason this vacuous but powerful woman has no knowledge of the fact that water is the ultimate solvent and sea water makes it far more effective at destroying shipwrecks. But, of course, arguments dominate in court and science has no standing. Nor does reality. So, dream on, folks, but until the court changes its ruling everything in the hull pieces is doomed to a slow death of corrosion in the name of preserving it for posterity.

-- David G. Brown

18. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

The hole in the starboard side is quite significant. I'm surprised they have not taken a closer look inside. They could always thread a steel cable around the portholes and pull it down to get a clearer view inside.

starboard_side.png

19. As already stated elsewhere it has been already examined in detail, first in 1987 and then in later expeditions as 1994, 1996 etc.
    Nothing special as this was created when the bow hit the bottom.

20. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

Yes, but it gives easy access for future expeditions to explore deeper parts of the ship with the technical aid of better equipment.

cargo1.png