The wreck....then and now

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
It's all a matter of a judicial decision...lawyers, which are just paid liars. Some ignoramus judge decided that the best way to preserve Titanic for future generations is to leave it in situ and prohibit taking of historic items from the hull. The only things that can be collected are the detritus that fell out (plates, coal, etc.) as the ship broke up. For some reason this vacuous but powerful woman has no knowledge of the fact that water is the ultimate solvent and sea water makes it far more effective at destroying shipwrecks. But, of course, arguments dominate in court and science has no standing. Nor does reality. So, dream on, folks, but until the court changes its ruling everything in the hull pieces is doomed to a slow death of corrosion in the name of preserving it for posterity.

-- David G. Brown

Which country? I am not an attorney either, but it occurs to me that Titanic is in international waters and unless there is a treaty that binds all the signators to the ruling of this single judge, her decision only applies to exhibitions which use her country as their home port or possibly the citizens of said country.

Oct 28, 2000
Don't quote me as I'm not an expert...but for some reason the U.S. has taken jurisdiction and NOAA supervises it and other historic shipwrecks. There is a legal justification for this, but that doesn't mean it's a logical or even sensible reason.

-- David G. Brown

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
That model is fantastic!!! If one could dive to the wreck a couple of months after this is what you would see. Its curious that the builder left the Honor and Glory clock intact as reports I've read say it was demolished when the dome imploded. Maybe not?? Maybe it slowly rotted and fell. Any thoughts??

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Don't quote me as I'm not an expert...but for some reason the U.S. has taken jurisdiction and NOAA supervises it and other historic shipwrecks. There is a legal justification for this, but that doesn't mean it's a logical or even sensible reason.

-- David G. Brown

That legal justification is not universal unless there is literal United Nations oversight or treaty obligation. The issue becomes, at least for those who want to exploit Titanic artifacts for profit, that any attempt to bring artifacts into the United States for sale (or even display), will result in the loss of those artifacts. There is more to it than this, because international norms can be binding--for example, it would be nearly impossible to tear the wreck apart to recover the low-background steel, just because... even if your salvage expedition originated from a country that would legally allow it.

Jun 21, 2018
I understand the moral debate of the people & family's that died on titanic ,however by salvaging her artifacts personal or & the ship you preserve the people memories of them & a museum on both of the pond America & Ireland would appropriate as they were leaving Europe to come America & I think we should honor that it's not as as it sounds,& the ship is destroyed but should be protected from those with wrong intentions?

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
I agree completely. Being able to tell the story of what happened to the people who died that night and early morning of 1912 is far too important to honoring the memory of victims than leaving the wreck alone out of a, what I feel is a misguided, sense of decorum.

CM1971

Aug 26, 2018
New York
Hello all! Long time lurker, and finally joined up. Well I had a question about the wreck.

I was wondering what the general conscientious is for the current state of the wreck?
And how bad do you think the deterioration has gotten?

Just something that has been bugging me for awhile.

Reactions: 1 user

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
The wreck is quickly becoming more and more unrecognizable. The deterioration is getting to a point of exponential decay. I’m not sure how much worse it’s gotten since 2012, though.

Rich Hayden

Jul 17, 2014
I fear for the worst when they go back in 2019. But I was watching a lecture earlier, given by Robert Ballard, and he believed that a lot of the damage was caused by submarines landing on the superstructure and destroying it.

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
That model of the freshly deposited bow section, shown on the previous page, is the image I've wanted to see conjured for years. Brand new, freshly painted, fallen into ice cold darkness. Just brilliant.