The Yarmouth Castle

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
As a young child living in Miami when the event occurred, I remember the sinking of the Yarmouth Castle, but none of the details. I recall something about it being controversial, that maybe the captain and crew left the ship before the passengers did? And I remember the news channels covering the arrival of the passengers after they were rescued. Anyway, I'd like to start a conversation about it so I can understand what happened, and thought you all might shed some light on the subject. Thanks.
Kyrila

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I saw something on the Yarmouth Castle on Discovery yesterday. Apparently the skipper did leave in a lifeboat, allegedly to try and get help from a nearby ship.

Whatever his reasons, it was a career ending move. He never got a command again, had to leave the sea, and refuses to discuss the matter to this day.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, Kyrila: The easiest account of the Yarmouth Castle disaster to find is the one in Protasio's To The Bottom of The Sea. It is brief but well written. A few years back, there was a Reader's Digest article, also quite good, which covered ground that Protasio didn't. And, as Michael said, there is a Discovery Channel documentary. From what I recall, the Yarmouth Castle was the former coastal liner Evangeline (1927) and, from the few interior shots I've come across, hardly Deluxe Travel at its best. The fire broke out in an unoccupied cabin (313) and, like that aboard the Morro Castle, spread quickly. Captain Voutsinas DID leave in an early lifeboat, allegedly seeking help, and was turned away from the rescue ship (Finnpulp, I think) when he tried to come aboard, by its rightfully disgusted crew. If I recall properly, 88 passengers and crew were lost before the ship sank.

Jul 10, 2005
I too saw the Discovery Channel Documentary. How horrible and appalling! I am GLAD that captian was no longer able to to captian a ship! He was not capable!

Beverly

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
You have got that right Beverly. The real hero of that story is the Captain of the other ship. Even with my bridge a flame I would like to think that I would stay until all of my passengers where either off or until the ship sank beneath my feet. I told a Chief Officer once that the day I lost a ship would be the day I die. He didn't like that much since he can't leave with out me.

Erik

Jul 10, 2005
LOL! Hi Erik!
I love hearing from you! I bet the poor old chief officer is now having nightmares of Titanic proportions.

I concur, I would do everything I could to help others off the ship before I even thought of abandonment, and this from a land lubber!

3 Cheers to the Captian of the Finnpulp! 3 Cheers to Erik!

Beverly

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
Thank you thank you... please no pictures or autographs at this time thank you thank you (I take several bows). In that same conversation he told me that he would knock me out and drag me to the raft if that is what it would take. I wouldn't doubt it either. I have seen him break up a fight between stewards and it wasn't very pretty.

Erik