Theissinger's Account

Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

I was reading the biography of the steward, Mr. Theissinger. In it, he claims that the ship seemed to break in two, and he grabbed a rail. Then, all the lights but one near him went out.

But this account gets very strange. After claiming the ship broke in two and the lights went out, he claims to have boarded Lifeboat No.11, which was lowered as early as 1:35 A.M. The Titanic had power until about the final two minutes of the sinking, correct? It was also about that same time that the ship split. Then what is with the claim that the ship had all ready broken in two and the lights out at 1:35 A.M. Theissinger even notes he had to grab a rail when this happened. Is it just me, or does this account seem out of order? Any thoughts?

-B.W.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Hi Brandon

I agree that the account has some serious discrepancies. Perhaps it is because he gave a sensationalist interview to on e of the newspapers after the disaster, or he or the journalists got their chronology mixed up. Interesting.

Having read his biography it seems Mr. Theissinger was definitely NOT in the "I expect we've dropped a propeller blade" school of alerting passengers.

With his alleged remarks to passengers it's a wonder he didn't single-handedly start a shipwide panic!

Regards

Sam

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Same,

Yes, just as in where he claims to have told one passenger that if they stopped to dress they would drown. I think some newspaper reporter probably got things messed up.

-B.W.