News These items should have sunk with the Titanic. Instead, this Forsyth County woman owns them. - Forsyth County News Online

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Has anyone ever actually manufactured anything like a fake ticket, baggage label or dining room menu from RMS Titanic and claimed they were real ?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
At the time of Cameron's flick, quite a number of reproduction documents were produced. I never bought any, as they were expensive. Some of these, such as a ticket to the launching, have been used for fraud. At the same time, a number of supposed tickets and boarding passes were made, often with passengers' names on them. These were made for various kinds of roll-playing, in restaurants and the like. They are nothing like the real thing.

What alerts my BS detector in this case is that we know that Isidor and Ida Straus, plus two servants, travelled in ticket 17483, which covered them all. Why would a supposed third servant have another ticket, with the Straus name on it? If she didn't sail, how did the Straus stuff get to the USA?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Good points Dave.

Isn't it also a bit suspicious we don't know the name of this alleged servant who didn't sail ?

And also that the items ended up with the present owner via "Laub’s husband’s cousin’s housekeeper" which isn't the best way to verify the story ?

"And there was an Art Deco powder compact made by Mondaine with a secret: on the front was a small compartment, with a picture of a sophisticated woman drinking a martini, to hold lipstick. Laub found red lipstick still inside."

That screams 1920's or 1930's to me rather than 1912.