Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Smart

Jun 12, 2003
United Kingdom
My interest is in the following men.
W.Burrows;A.Slade;Thos.Slade and D.Slade.

While in todays terms "deserted" seems harsh in reference to the Slade brothers spending too much time at the Pub thereby missing the sailing.

In the case of W. Burrows he is recorded as "Left by Consent" and character as V.G.

Somewhere I have seen a list of crews addresses, cannot recall where.
From memory I believe that they all stayed at the same address in Southampton,
but
WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?
and
WHAT BECAME OF THEM?

I hope that there is some more info on these men from others on this site in due time.
Thank you in advance.
Alex

P.S.
May I just say that I think that this whole website is Fantastic, There is SO MUCH to read up on and SO MANY people involved giving ideas and information, its just great.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Alex, and welcome to Titanica. The Slade brothers were Thomas (27), Bertram (26) and Alfred (25). Their lodger was Mr V Penney, a trimmer. All four 'deserters' missed the boat after that last minute pint in 'The Grapes'. As far as I know, Burrows (who was not involved in this incident) was not living at the same address.

Beyond that we enter the territory of myth and legend. After the event, Mrs Slade claimed that one of her boys had dreamed of the ship the night before and dreaded going aboard (the mother of Harry Burrows told a similar tale). A living relative, Mrs Marie Flood, tells a tale that in their final dash to get to the ship the brothers managed to delay a train bearing would-be Titanic passengers, who later acknowledged that they owed their lives to the Slade brothers! The Slades were in fact themselves held up by a passing train, but that makes a less dramatic story to recount over a pint.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Alex, all the crew addresses are on this site. Find the signing on sheets transcribed from the originals by Hermann Söldner. You'll find that the big majority came from Southampton. They were concentrated in certain working-class suburbs, notably Northam.

Only 212 of the crew survived and the amount known about them varies a great deal. Check the biographies as a starting point.

It's a sad fact that most ordinary people leave few traces of their lives, so be prepared for disappointments. The only crewmember I've personally researched is stewardess Evelyn Marsden. I'm struck by the precision and detail of some of the material I've turned up but also by the gaping gaps in the record. Good hunting.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Alex!

>In the case of W. Burrows he is recorded as "Left >by Consent" and character as V.G.

On April 10th Harry Burrows left his mother's Southampton home and went down to the docks to board the Titanic, but it wasn't long before he turned up at his mother's home again. He told her that he had suddenly decided not to sail on the Titanic because "some kind of feeling came over me." (Burrows couldn't explain the feeling, but it must have been pretty strong -- he had remained in Southampton an entire month in order to specifically sail as a crewman on the Titanic.)

All my best,

George

Jul 7, 2002
George,

How interesting! Considering coal strike and how much he probably needed the work, his feeling must have been strong indeed.

Of the people who had premonitions about Titanic, how many had them on a regular basis? In Eva Hart's book she said her mother's premonition was a one-time thing, so I'm just wondering about other folks. (BTW, I mean premonitions *before* the sinking, not all the people who claimed to have them after the fact.)

Cathy

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Cathy!

>Of the people who had premonitions about Titanic, >how many had them on a regular basis?

I'm afraid I have no way of knowing the answer to your question, Cathy; I've gotten the distinct impression, though, that these experiences were such unusual events in each person's life that they caused the percipients to really sit up and take notice.

All my best,

George

Jul 7, 2002
George,

Darn, I was hoping this might be something you researched for Titanic: Psychic Forewarnings of Tragedy.

I know a few people had legitimate premonitions about Titanic, but it seems to me most of them were conveniently recalled after that tragedy (and therefore unlikely).

Best wishes,

Cathy

D

David Rides

Has anyone any information on a stoker with a surname of Hill.He sailed from Belfast to Southampton and was taken ill,so missed the maiden voyage.
David Rides
Bristol
UK

Jul 20, 2000
Hello David,

I cannot find the name Hill on the: Belfast, Crew: Particulars of Engagement (PRONI Ref: 2A/45/381, A-H)Engine Crew, which is on this web-site.

What leads you to believe he was on the Titanic for the Belfast to Southampton run?

Status
Not open for further replies.