Thickness of interior and exterior walls?

Mark D

Nov 16, 2013
Hello!

I am using a floor plan software to mock up the A-Deck and B-Deck First class accommodations, but I am a bit unsure about how thick the walls (both interior and exterior) should be. In modern construction, interior walls are typically 4.5 inches thick (2X4 framing + .25 inch thick drywall on either side), but have no idea what materials would have been used on the Titanic's interior walls, nor how thick they'd be. It makes precise dimension calculations difficult not knowing for sure.

Modern exterior walls are typically about 7.25 inches thick (2X6 framing, + 1 inch exterior siding and .25 inch interior drywall). What would the outer walls of the public rooms (smoking room, lounge, etc) that looked out onto the promenade deck been? I assume they were metal/steel on the exterior, but again no idea of framing/thickness.

As for the outer superstructure walls, I assume those also would have just been steel plates riveted together. I know the hull was 3 inches thick, but understand that was 3 layers of 1 inch plates. What about the superstructure? I would guess it would not be as thick, but of course can't be sure.

Final question: the beam of the ship is reported as 92.5' at its widest point. Did this include the A-Deck promenade and boat deck, which clearly overhangs B-Deck by some portion? I ask because I read that the D-Deck Dining Saloon was 92.5' wide, but if so, then clearly A-Deck must be wider, yes?

Thanks in advance!