Things to do for 3rd class passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2003
The first and second class had lots of things to do during the day on board but what with the third class? where there any things to do for them?

Nov 9, 2002
Hey Sonja,
The only things third class had were public rooms ex:the general room and smoking room. They would just have to make their own ways of having fun such as playing cards, dancing, or playing the piano in the general room (an awesome luxury at the time). Other than that they didnt have much choices but I imagine just being on the Titanic and eating the best food they had probably ever eaten was good enough for them!

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Lawrence Beesley recalled the third class passengers playing deck games, notably a lively skipping game. He also saw Eugene Daly playing his pipes on deck. On Olympic, the third class passengers made so much noise with their music and general good times that the postal workers complained they couldn't sleep. Changes were made to the accommodation to improve matters.

The third class were a bit like Sonja.

"All I need is love, music and sun, for body soul and mind!"

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
On D Deck aft, just forward of the Third Class Entrance, is a small room called "Third Class Writing Room". Just next to it, to Port, is another room called "Third Class (?)", can't read the writing in "Triumph & Tragedy. Third Class Surgery, perhaps?

Jul 20, 2000
Hi Jonathan,

Yes: Third Class Surgery.
That is the starboard room. I read the port room as "Waiting" Room.

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
Groovy, Lester. I think I need a good, what's that thang called that Sherlock Holmes used? Magnifying glass? Oh, it's too early dark o'clock here in Pacific Time to try and retrieve THAT brain cell!!!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Jonathan, you might consider buying those deckplans recently published by Bruce Beveridge. They're done in the 1/350th scale, come in a 36" X 54" roll, and are a lot easier to read. I got mine last month and they were very useful to have at the MMA Titanic symposium I attended. (A lot easier on my eyes too, which are not improving with age!) Short of the actual builders plans, these are probably the most accurate you'll ever find.

You can get more information on them HERE.

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
Michael, thanks for the info on deck plans. I just happen to be looking for a replacement. Mine are fairly small and hard to read.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The small and hard to read part is a common complaint, unfortunately. I frequently had to use a magnifying glass to read the Eaton & Haaas Plans. My eyes aren't getting better with age either. I think you'll both enjoy the deck plans that Bruce Beveridge offers.

I'm thinking of ordering a second set then cutting sections up into smaller sheets that I can put in a binder. That'll make them easier for me to use.

rob scott

May 4, 2004
I read that in 3rd class there were less open areas even though more people, so the children really only had these areas and filled them as play areas so the adults really had little open room and thus congregated in the dining and 3rd lounge/public room, in other words not much outside, because the childrens play was in the way of adult promenade; just a thought, a quick-view into the world of 3rd travellers; couldn't get "out" much unless you were a child at play.
happy.gif

This of course changed for 2nd as they had bigger outdoor areas, and 1st outdoor areas allowed for tremendous room around the strolling folk.
That one photo of the boy, was that name Stetten??, tossing the top in 1st class promenade, as dad coached him: and all that tons of space around them!

Jul 31, 2008
In several movies we see third class passengers partying, dancing and playing music.
I have often wondered, would that have taken place in the general room aft or in the dining salon or possibly both.
Was it even possible to have parties with both men and women?

[Moderator's note: This message, originally a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread about the same subject. MAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.