Third class and Scotland Road a few questions

Jul 31, 2008
Hello
I have been looking at deckplans, but there is something I do not understand. It seems that the only access from the forward third class cabins and the open berths to the aft area and the poop deck is Scotland Road. Were steerage passengers staying in a forward cabin even able to get aft?
On the deckplans I have seen, the cabins starboard on E-deck are marked as first and second class. On the port side there are a number of crew accomodations midships. Does that mean that the starboard side of E-deck was closed of from the port side? Were passengers allowed to go past crew quaters?
I'd also like to ask about the first class swimbath, turkish bath and sqaush court. Where would first class passengers go, to get there. Down to the first class cabin corridors on E-deck and from there down small staircases. There does seem to be a staircase that leads to the sqaush court from a cabin corridor, but how about the swimbath.

Jul 31, 2008
By the way, this question also arose from the fact, that there seems to be two bulkheads aft on E-deck, one just aft of the nr 4 hatches and another further aft. Unless there were doors, there would seems to be no way for a man staying somewhere forward to get to the third class main staircase and thus to the smoking and general rooms and the poop deck.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Were passengers allowed to go past crew quaters?<<

I don't see how anybody in Third Class would have much of a choice in the matter. They would not be permitted to transit through any of the spaces allocated to Second or First Class, and eventually, they would have to get back to the Dining Saloon to eat.

Jul 31, 2008
Michael, are you saying, that since the only access to the steerage dining room was down stairs from E-deck, people would have to go through Scotland Road?
It was of course stewards who stayed along Scotland Road, and they needed to be close to the passengers.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Michael, are you saying, that since the only access to the steerage dining room was down stairs from E-deck, people would have to go through Scotland Road?<<

Since any other means of access would have been off-limits, I don't see how they could do otherwise.