Third Class Cabins

Aug 28, 2005
If anybody could help me with this, i'd be very grateful. On E-Deck aft, on the port side, there is a section of Third Class Cabins, I think it is section "M", how did passengers get to it? There are bulkheads on both sides with no watertight doors, and no staircases either.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The doors were certainly there, but for some reason not all deck plans show them - like the plans on this website, for instance! In fact, all 3rd Class passengers quartered at the aft end of the ship needed to pass along that main passageway in M section to get to the dining rooms further forward.

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Cody,

Section M is no different to Section K which is immediately forward of it. It was accessed from Scotland Road. In an emergency if the WT doors at either end of the section had been closed passengers could have gone through the Emergency Door to the after 2nd Class staircase.

I am guessing that you are looking at the deck plans in E&H [?]. What looks like two solid walls fore and aft should as be marked as having WT doors in them, the same as at the forward end of Section K. - When rooms G-1 to G-41 were let to 3rd Class [as I understand they were for the Maiden Voyage] then the 3rd Class passengers in those rooms came up into Section M.

Hope that helps.

Dec 6, 2000
I note that the deck plans in the Shipbuilder do not show WT doors on Scotland Road at the forward bulkheads of Sections Q, M or K.

However, the H&W deck plans on which I understand E&H based their deck plans show all 3 WT doors.

Bob, I thought it was mid-winter over there and extra cold so why are you still out of bed at 2:36am answering questions on 3rd Class access and WT doors?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Well, Lester, I must admit that it's difficult to post while wearing mittens and with my eyelids propped open with matchsticks, but how else am I to get my answers in before yours?!
wink.gif