Third Class Passenger Accounts of the Disaster

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Hi All - I have looked through the topics to see if this was already asked and answered but I didn't have much luck finding anything.

Have there been any books or articles written from Third Class Survivors accounts of the disaster? I think it would be intersting to know what they thought and how they got to a boat, etc... I have thought about this ever since I read threads on Third Class and if they were really prevented from trying to reach a boat through barriers (locked gates, etc..).

If I overlooked where this may have been discussed - would someone please let me know where it is? Thanks so much - Beth
happy.gif

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Beth:
You can find some third class survivor accounts by looking up the following biographies here on ET:
Olaus Abelseth
Daniel Buckley
Edward Dorking

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Have a look at Senan Molony's The Irish on Board the Titanic if you can lay hands on it. Personally, I find some of the stories a bit inventive, but make up your own mind.

Another witness at the US inquiry was Berk Pickard, who had not trouble at all getting into a boat. The third class experience seems to have varied greatly, to put it mildly.

Dec 13, 1998
Dear Beth, most of the Scandinavian third class survivors gave interviews after the disaster. It doesn't seem as though they were physically prevented from getting up to the boat deck. They have been included in some books, notably Claes-Göran Wetterholm's 'Titanic' and Per Sebak's '31 Norwegian Fates'.

Best regards,

Peter

Feb 10, 2008
Iäm working on a book about the 123 Swedes on the Titanic in English and it will contain first-hand survivor stories that I have translated from newspapers.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
>>You can find some third class survivor accounts by looking up the following biographies here on ET: Olaus Abelseth, Daniel Buckley, Edward Dorking<<

See also the ET biography of Amy Stanley; not only was she not prevented from getting into a boat - a "two fellows" helped her to get into one.