Third class passengers and crew in the bow

Tiespd

Apr 18, 2019
Spain
I would like to know how third class passengers in the bow escaped the sinking. I heard that they had to go through Scotland road to the stern and there wait because they were not allowed to go to boat deck. Is it true? I mean, they had no choice of going to boat deck from the bow? I guess they couldn’t taking into account the number of people in the boats of the bow.

Also the crew that was sleeping in the bow, they had to go through Scotland road? Couldn’t they go up from the bow? I attached a picture where you can see stairs which could be used to get a very easy way to boat deck. Anybody was allowed to go in that direction?

Thanks

Attachments

Tiespd

Apr 18, 2019
Spain
Hi,

Sorry for bringing this up again but just would like to know any ideas you may have about this.

Thanks!

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Also the crew that was sleeping in the bow, they had to go through Scotland road? Couldn’t they go up from the bow? I attached a picture where you can see stairs which could be used to get a very easy way to boat deck. Anybody was allowed to go in that direction?
Yes the staircase was for the crew and crew members did use that staircase during the sinking. 3rd Class Passengers could also use that staircase if they were not hold back by the crew. However we mainly know from crew survivors as Hendrickson for example that 3rd class passengers from the bow went aft using Scotland Road on E Deck.

Reactions: Tiespd

Tiespd

Apr 18, 2019
Spain
Thanks. It's sad to know that those passenger had so close their freedom and they had to make the long way to the stern. It's even worse taking into account that some boats in the bow had a lot of space when were lowered.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I know. But when people are refusing to get in, it’s best to just lower emptier boats than to have it sink with the ship.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I think it all depended upon when the people involved realised that the Titanic was indeed doomed. As far as is known, no one was immediately (or soon after) trapped and drowned after the collision. If anything many crew and Third Class passengers in the bow realised something was seriously wrong far earlier than those at the stern because of the early flooding. Classic examples are Lamp Trimmer Samuel Hemming whose cabin was very near the bow. He was woken at around 11:45 pm, some 5 minutes after the collision, by the loud hissing sound escaping from the flooding forepeak area. Likewise Irishman Daniel Buckley occupied one of the cheapest and most forward lower steerage accommodations and woke when his cabin started to flood around 11:50 pm. Both these men were billeted very close to the bow but having realised early that something was seriously wrong, took adequate measures. Both men survived the sinking,