Third Class Stewards during the sinking

Aug 31, 2015
I wonder what most of third class stewards did when the ship was sinking. We only know about Hart, Cox, Pantryman Pearcey, Daniels, Hyland and Pugh.

Calshot

Aug 20, 2017
I wonder what most of third class stewards did when the ship was sinking. We only know about Hart, Cox, Pantryman Pearcey, Daniels, Hyland and Pugh.
My great uncle was Albert Pearcey who survived, and died in 1952, married but childless. I can never remember ever meeting him, I must have been around 8 when he passed away, however I do not believe that he was my maternal grandmother's favorite sibling, and he did have the occasional brush with the law.

Family lore said that 'found to babies on deck, took them to Murdoch who told him to get into Collapsible "C" and look after them.' I find it hard to imagine a parent abandoning their infants on deck, and also Murdoch telling Albert to look after the babies, when there was a lifeboat full of capable woman. These are the facts, Albert helped guide passengers to the boat deck and he ended up in Collapsible "C". Everything else is conjectural.

I examined the lifeboat's survivors list and could find no unaccompanied minors. In Collapsible "D" were the unaccompanied French Navratil boys, could they have been recorded in the wrong lifeboat? Possible, but then I was drawn to a passage in Rupert Matthews book "Titanic", which elucidated things. Albert was directing passengers when he encountered Hinna Tu'mah and her two children. Hinna was from the Lebanon and on her way to join her husband in Michegan. He apparently was in distressed, had little knowledge of English and Albert had difficulty directing her. Grabbing her children he dragged them up to the boat deck, knowing the mother would follow. By now most of the boats had gone, but he found a crowd of men gathered around "C". Pushing his way through, he presented the family to Murdoch who boarded them. Murdoch then realised the only crew member aboard was Quartermaster Rowe, so he ordered Albert and four fireman aboard as oarsmen. This seems the most plausible end to the tale. But there was a twist.

Hinna met up with her husband, they settled in Michigan, bred and prospered. She also Anglicised her name to Hanna Thomas. He grandson, Joseph L. Thomas wrote entitled "Grandma survived the "Titanic". I confess I have only read reports and reviews on this book, however instead of being a good "Titanic" yarn, only the first few pages are devoted to the liner, the rest to family life in America. Her account of her survival is that she went up on deck with her son,aged 8. left him by the lifeboat then went back to her cabin, collected the elder daughter, returned to the lifeboat and was saved.There is no mention of anybodies help. Possible, but given the scenario of a sinking liner, possible chaos on the darkened deck, and leaving a young child alone in this mayhem etc etc, I leave the reader to judge.