This has got to be a sick joke

Dec 14, 2007
Unfortunately, it isn't.... I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but somebody has to do it. I found this on alt.history.ocean-liners.titanic, and it was also on CNN:

Couple Vows to Wed on 'Titanic' Wreck

A COUPLE who plan to get married on the deck of the Titanic said last night:
"It's awesome -- we'll be part of history."

Lovebirds David Leibowitz and Kimberley Miller aim to exchange vows on the
wreck of the mighty liner almost 2-1/2 miles down in the freezing depths of the
Atlantic.

They will dive in a tiny three-man Mir submarine to reach the ship on which
1,523 passengers and crew died 89 years ago.

Their trip, organised by British company Subsea Explorer, has sparked fury
among relatives of survivors and victims for "turning a tragedy into a circus."

But Kimberley, 27, said: "The story of the Titanic was not just about tragedy
but about heroism and survival too."

"The survivors were so fortunate and they passed on to their children their
incredible stories. We will have our own incredible story to pass to our
children."

Computer expert David, 28, said: "We are very excited -- it is awesome to be
able to say we will be part of history. We will be reminded of those who died
but the sinking had a lot of romance attached."

The New York couple decided on their Titanic wedding after David won an
internet contest for the chance to dive to the wreck.

They will travel down to the liner, which lies in 12,600 feet off the coast off
Canada, aboard a sub from the Russian exploration vessel Akademik Keldysh.

They hope to land close to the bow to recreate the scene from the movie
"Titanic" in which lovers Jack and Rose, played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate
Winslet, imagine they are flying.

David went on: "We watched 'Titanic' on video again last week to remind
ourselves.

"We were planning to get married next year, possibly a traditional wedding in
French Polynesia, but then this came along."

There is no room in the Mir sub to stand up but David should be able to get
down on one knee.

And Kimberley, who works for a New York cable firm, has been told she can wear
white rather than crew members' usual flame-resistant overalls. Subsea
Explorer will decide whether the pilot of the sub will marry the couple.

Alternatively the skipper of the ship - which featured in the 1997 film -- will
conduct the ceremony over a two-way intercom.

Kimberley added: "I knew we would do something unconventional when we got
married but I had no idea it would be this."

"We had mixed feelings about the wedding because we want to be respectful to
those who lost their lives and show reverence."

Last night Brian Ticehurst, of the British Titanic Society, said: "This is
utterly, utterly sick."

"I have no objection to people going down to view the wreck. But to use a ship
where over 1,500 people died for a gimmicky wedding like this is just wrong."

Margaret Meehan, of Hampstead, North West London, whose aunt Violet Jessop was
a survivor, said: "It's appalling and typically American. My aunt would have
found it very improper."

The 46,000-ton "unsinkable" Titanic was on her maiden voyage from Southampton
to New York when she hit an iceberg just before midnight on April 14, 1912.

Gary Allsopp, Chief Executive of Subsea Explorer, said yesterday: "We are very
proud to be helping to make history."

GIVE ME A BREAK, ALREADY!!!
sad.gif

May 12, 2005
Daryl,

This has got to be the silliest thing I've heard of. What fools. They think they'll be a part of history - and maybe in a way they will, but only a really small stupid part. It's only because of the movie that people think the Titanic disaster was the least bit romantic. If they'd been there and not just sat snogging in a movie theatre they'd realize that drowning or freezing to death isn't too awfully sexy. Foolish people. I wish them all the unhappiness in the world (hee-hee).

Randy

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
You know, as disrespectful and thoughtless and sickening and appalling as it is, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Maybe we should raise our voices to the media in protest and give them cause to think. They could always get married at the Orlando Exhibit Grand Staircase, after all!

Kyrila

Apr 22, 2012
This is just...odd. Why on earth would you want to get married on a shipwreck on the bottom of the ocean to begin with? If they desperately wanted a Titanic-related wedding, they could have settled for the church in England that Captain Smith attended in his younger years. It still stands unchanged. I myself have always thought the Titanic had a romantic quality to it; not the drowning or anything like that, but the pre-disaster days where new friendships (and possibly romances) were sparked on board. But that feeling all ends for me when I think of that Sunday night.

And, not surprisingly, they want to mock Jack and Rose. Need I say more? The people need their head examined.

-B.W.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I agree that this is appalling, but I didn't particularly care for the remarks made by Violet Jessop's niece...."typically American". It was uncalled for to slam an entire nation of people because of the actions of two individual citizens. Tackiness can be found among any ethnic group.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
I saw this one plastered all over the front page of "The Sun" today.
If my parents ever passed such an "incredible" story onto me I think I would be pretty embarressed and ashamed.
They want to be "respectful" and show "reverence". Excuse me, but have I missed something here? Can someone please explain to me how the meaning of those two words has changed?
Perhaps if people start to get married in glitzy ceremonies on the Normandy beaches, or even God forbid, Auschwitz, the rest of us will be able to see the "romance" in those places, and we could all rejoice in the happy couples' entrance into the history books.
Of course, not for a minute would we think that they were being unbelievably insensitive, egotistical and pathetic.
The only good thing to come out of this is that the French Polynesians won't have to put up with this disgusting pair.
I would never go so far as to wish harm on them but if anything went wrong and they became trapped down in that grave with no way back I'm sure the "romance" would quickly fade and they would really find out the REAL emotions felt by those people on that horrific night long ago.
I'm going to try and find an email address for Subsea Explorer and let them know how I feel about this.

Regards

Sam

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
"We wanted to be the "peoples champion" representing the needs and values of individuals worldwide...."
Subsea Explorer mission statement

Yeah, right.

Dec 14, 2007
Hey,
When they finally get around to making "Bismarck: A Love Story", will people "suddenly realise" how "romantic" the sinking of the Bismarck was, and start having weddings on the ship's deck?

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
I agree with Mr. Ticehurst. It's utterly sick!!! I have never agreed with those who see the wreckage as a "grave site" BUT in this case it is appalling that ANYONE would think that this site is a proper place for a wedding. Should we remind them how many sweet young marriages and old tried and true marriages met their end on that ship. Should we remind them that "being a part of history" is not a necessary part of the joining of two people together in marriage. Should we remind them that Rose and Jack WEREN'T EVEN THERE!!!!!!!!!! Geez! This one really gets my back up. I agree that sadly, it is a typically American concept. Americans (and trust me, I AM proud of my country) typically forget the part dignity plays in everyday choices. Just as it can be said that the English face everything with a stiff upper lip. Yes it is a generalization, but there is quite a bit of truth in both stereotypes and it appears that Kimberly & David have their respective heads up each other's arses so far that they cannot see the selfishness of their actions.
I hope I haven't offended anyone here. Additionally, if David & Kimberly are true titanic fans, I plead with them to reconsider. Please take your much envied prize and treat it with the reverence it deserves. Hold your loved one's hand and offer up a prayer or an affirmation to those that lost their lives there and soak up the history, enjoy the science that allowed you to go there, and let that place be about THOSE people. Please know that being married there will NOT make you a part of Titanic's history. It will only make you a footnote in the history of outlandish weddings. I agree that the chapel where Capt. Smith attended would be a more reverent tribute to our ship and it's passengers. How about a honeymoon on Sam's stomping grounds. (he's begging for tourists, isn't he??)
I've rambled more than necessary, I know, but as I said I feel strongly about this one. Is there something we can do?? Anyone have any ideas?
-kate.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Kate said:

**How about a honeymoon on Sam's stomping grounds. (he's begging for tourists, isn't he??) **

?????????????????????

Regards

Sam

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Yes, we can do something! We can study where these people live and write editorials to their local papers protesting this "event" and calling their local TV stations to vent protests, and see if they have listed phone numbers and addresses and bombard them with protest letters and urge them to reconsider taking their wedding to another location. Like the chapel Kate recommended, or like the Orlando exhibit I recommended earlier.

This is my challenge: First one to locate names addresses and phone numbers meet back here and share the information, then pass it on to everyone on the membership list to write and/or call right away. Let's be polite and non-threatening, people, but firmly voice our protests in clear, articulate fashion, as I know all of you will.

Kyrila

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
OK, Kids, Are you ready to rock 'n roll? The hapless couple lives in the New York City area and so those who can should stand in front of Al Roker with protest signs and wave them in front of the camera during the weather forecast, thereby creating a grassroots campaign using the media. Send editorials and letters to the editors of all the New York papers, including the Times, the Post, and Wall Street Journal. Call WABC, WCBS, WNBC, WFOX, etc. If anyone finds out WHICH CABLE Company Kimberley works for, threaten to campaign to boycott their stations unless they convince the couple to change their plans. For those of you who wish to harrass SUBSEA EXPLORER, the guy's e-mail address is [email protected].

Hey, what can I say? I'm a child of the 60's! I lived in Miami during the Democratic and Republican Conventions of '72 for pete's sake!

Happy protesting, children! Peace and love!

Titanic Mom

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Daryl, you didn't tell us that it wasn't David and Kimberley's idea to have the wedding there, but it was Subsea Explorer's idea, and the couple agreed "as long as it doesn't turn into a media circus." (Too late, Subsea Explorer has already sent out the shark bait!) You also didn't tell us that Marconi's daughter would be the maid of honor! I wonder what that man would think of this "honor" his daughter is giving them?

Anyway, when you post your complaints to Subsea (And I encourage all of you to do so) be sure to enter "Subsea Forum" in the subject box, so Aiden will know what to do with it.

Yes, Randy, I do believe it is the same Subsea Explorer. Did you visit their slick website yet? Photos of their "Titanic Charity Ball" ad nauseum. I wonder which charity benefitted from the ball?

Kyrila

Kris Muhvic

Sep 26, 2008
Hmm...I don't know if I should laugh or...Scream!
The only comment I can give right now is if this couple feels the need to validate their love in this... bizzare way, one wonders what exactly the nature of their relationship is based on, anyway?
I usually try not to make judgements on individuals (brides and grooms included), however this just seems the frivolity of two spoiled fame seekers that, contrary to Jessop's niece's observation, is anything but typical-or American, for that matter, by the looks of this thread!
P.S...This single guy would find it terrifying to get married plunged in the deep! Save your energy for the real issues in marriage that will come in due time!
Love and...Wreakage!?!
Thx-
Kris

D

deborah grace

Hi. I'd already won a place to be on the same trip as David and Kimberley. This has completely deflated me as I have been looking forward to this so much. I didn't realise it was subsea's idea. I can't think of any thing worse to happen! Marconi's grandaughter is coming to lay a plaque to the wireless operators. Still now I'll have to move cabins to be away from the honeymoon suite

D

deborah grace

And the charity ball raised £92,000 in aid of children with leukaemia
Deborah

Jun 18, 2007
Ah, a wedding takes place on the same trip where a plaque is to be laid by the granddaughter of Marconi, in the place where one of his employees died, four days after his 25th birthday....

Gee, you know, HE never had a chance to get married! Neither did the Sixth Officer...and you know what else? An awful large number of kids never got a chance to even grow up and contemplate a thing like romance! And of course many a married couple were forever separated that night...

Ah, what lovely thoughts to bear in mind when pledging your eternal love to each other!!!

Personally, I hope they get a nasty case of the "mal de mer"...