This is specifically to Parks Stephenson

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
David, I know you said that your post was for Mr. Stephenson, but I thought you would like to read his article on the matter, posted on his site.

What Caused Titanic To Sink?

Specifically the part in which he states:

[Author's note: since our experiment was made public, almost every critic has accused us of running a faulty test because we didn't freeze the samples. In my opinion, our critics failed to comprehend the effect of the heated boiler room on the inside of the steel plating.]

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Since posting the above post I have been thinking. The quote above would in fact only apply to the area of the boiler rooms and not the other areas in which the iceberg impacted. Did water in the peak tank effect the steel, as we know that the carpenter was sent to check on the fresh water (though the peak tanks would not be one of these tanks), in fear of freezing. Just throwing it out there. :)

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Hello Brad.

The brittle rivet theory is a load of old intellectual nonsense. It is based on the ignorance of normal practice at sea.
It assumes that Titanic was deeply immersed in freezing water for a substantial amount of time. It is also based on the assumption that somehow a body of cold water was flowing over one of much warmer water.
In reality, unless the taking of sea temperature from a fast moving ship is done in a scientific manner, the results obtained and published in the Titanic Inquiries were fatally flawed. It is well known that under normal circumstances, normal sea temperature between night and day varies little more that 2 degrees. It is also know that an iceberg leaves a very shallow trail of fresh water at about 0 degrees F as it moves and is surrounded by an equally shallow pool of fresh water when stationary. An indicated sudden drop in sea temperature in 1912 was more likely to be the result of bad seawater sampling and was ans still is, no indication of the proximity of sea ice.

Jim C.