This is the Titanic, right?

May 3, 2005
Talking about names. Does anybody know if Titanic had "TITANIC" name engraved in her Stern like the bow did?
You can make this out if you look closely at the photo.
TITANIC
LIVERPOOL

There are some black specks or "dots" on the photo . That could be one on the top of the fourth funnel.On the other hand it looks a little like it could be the head of an alien ! LOL.
If it was the head of a person, on blowing up the photo, it looks as if that person would have had to have had a very long and very skinny neck.
My idea is that black "dot" and the others are just pin pricks in the emulsion of the negative that led in light that would cause such black "dots" on the print or enlargement. I am also making an assumption that the photo was made from a "negative" film. Any thing white shows up black and any thing black shows up as white in a photo made from a negative. The photo seems to very much more contrasty than photographs of that time. It's of the Titanic, all right, but I don't see how you could identify any of the individuals. Maybe in the original . Maybe the photographer was lucky and just took it at the instant when the stoker had climbed up the fourth stack and looked over as it was was reported ?

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
Here's a Link to a HD Version:
Thanks Martin !

Yes ! ..... In your photo it does look like the head and shoulders of a person who has on some kind of a cap or hat.

You can also see the warning sign (on the stern railing, to the left of the flag mast).
It's too blurred in the photo to read.
But it read :
NOTICE
THIS VESSAL HAS
TRIPLE SCREWS
KEEP CLEAR OF
BLADES

Last edited:

John Jaeger

Sep 11, 2015
A thing of beauty, Martin. Wonderful.
If Titanic had only two screws, you wouldn't have had to worry, huh.
No way two screws can hurt you, only triples are dangerous.