Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi Y'all, recently I came across this image, of a Galley on Olympic or Titanic
(published by the Daily Sketch)
1623472531179.png

Lets compare a photograph of the Chefs taken outside the Portside Verandah on A-Deck
Chefs together outside the portside Verandah.JPG

This fellow
1623472587159.png

1623472614923.png

In TTSM Vol 2, the Author also believes it is Titanic's Galley. I wouldn't even be surprised if this is a Father Francis Browne photograph, as he sold several to the Daily Sketch.

it is him, in my opinion, but I'm happy to hear y'alls opinion :)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
In TTSM Vol 2, the Author also believes it is Titanic's Galley. I wouldn't even be surprised if this is a Father Francis Browne photograph, as he sold several to the Daily Sketch.

It's most likely Titanic (at last from my part I think it is)
I am not sure if it is really from "the daily sketch" as I can not remember having seen it there. It was printed also in two other period newspapers I know.
It's not a Browne photo but a photograph taken by the press.

it is him, in my opinion, but I'm happy to hear y'alls opinion :)

He has been identified as Alexis Bochatay.

Reactions: 3 users
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
@Ioannis Georgiou Is there anyone else that can be identified in that photo? Be good to make sure it's linked to their biogs.

Walpole is sitting in the middle and standing far right must be Maytum.
So far I have only 3 (Walpole, Maytum & Bochatay) names would need to look into my files if I have somewhere any update.

Stupid question (from me) @Cam Houseman but where is it that ET stamped picture on ET!?

It's in the bio of Walpole.

There is a 2nd version of that photograph with some of the people in standing/sitting different.

I remember having discussed that photograph with Daniel Klistorner a few years ago. Out of memory we think this photograph might have been taken on Olympic in 1911.

Reactions: 1 user

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Thank you, in the standing photo Walpole is carrying knives and (presumably) Maytum has a steel for sharpening knives. I wonder if Walpole’s pantryman duties relate to the butchers section any more than any other.

William Oakes

Mar 6, 2020
Here are some images from the Book, The Last Dinner on the Titanic
3 Galley Photos, one artists rendering of the Galley, and one deck steward- Victualising Steward

Attachments

• Galley 4.jpg
    Galley 4.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 26
  • Galley 3.jpg
    Galley 3.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 24
  • deck steward.jpg
    deck steward.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 23
  • Galley 2.jpg
    Galley 2.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Galley 1.jpg
    Galley 1.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 22

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Walpole is sitting in the middle and standing far right must be Maytum.
So far I have only 3 (Walpole, Maytum & Bochatay) names would need to look into my files if I have somewhere any update.

It's in the bio of Walpole.

There is a 2nd version of that photograph with some of the people in standing/sitting different.

I remember having discussed that photograph with Daniel Klistorner a few years ago. Out of memory we think this photograph might have been taken on Olympic in 1911.
oh thanks Ioannis!