This piece of music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2008
I am being killed trying to recall the name of a certain piece of music.

There is a scene where it is played in A Night to Remember. It is the scene in the boat with Molly Brown's "plenty of fat" line, a slow waltz tune

please tell me :D

Feb 21, 2005
I'd like to know this too. The same tune can be heard earlier in the film when Lightoller is going off duty and strolling along the boat deck checking the lifeboats and shines the light on the couple kissing in the shadows.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Some years ago, I asked the William Alwyn Society about the music in ANTR. I was told that it is original music by Alwyn.

I'll have a look at the movie again, but it's likely the tune has no name.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I had a look and the movie and I'm confident it's music by Alwyn, written in the style of salon music of the period.

Oct 31, 2008
I could have sworn I heard it a few other times outside of ANTR. This is likely why I thought it would have had a name I would recognise. Is it likely to have been included in another film?

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
It sounds familiar because Alwyn expertly wrote a commonplace tune, such as palm court orchestras played at the time.

Some composers are very good at that sort of thing and can turn out music in the style of any composer.

Status
Not open for further replies.