Thomas Andrews' engagement ring.

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Hi everyone,

I'm Kate and I'm new to Encyclopedia Titanica - it's very nice to meet you all!

I got interested in Titanic again recently after re-watching the movies and was so excited to find your space here.
You've gathered so much information together and I'm really enjoying reading your posts and discussions - I'll be kept busy for a long time.

I'm particularly interested in the life of Thomas Andrews, Titanic's chief designer/shipbuilder and I'm currently reading his biography by Shan F. Bullock.
Any information you'd like to share I'd be most interested in hearing as I really only know a little about him from the movies.

Also would like to know if anyone can shed any light on what happened to the sapphire engagement ring in Mr Andrew's family after the auction?
I found this article online and I've been wondering since if the ring went to a museum. I guess I'm curious to know it's final sale value too.

Thanks so much for reading and best wishes to all,

Kate.

Feb 27, 2020
Scotland
Hi Kate!

I've wondered the same thing, about the engagement ring. Couldn't seem to find any info about it online so I gave up in the end. If anyone here could shed any light on the fate of the ring, I'd be interested to know too.

Thomas Andrews and the Belfast shipbuilding side of the story has been a passion of mine for years. The Shan Bullock biography is a bit sycophantic and overly gushing for my liking - nobody is that perfect and I'm sure he had his off days like everyone else. But it's useful for getting an idea of the man's character and his interests away from shipbuilding (bee keeping, horse riding, cricket!). Usually I head to Northern Ireland twice a year to visit my in-laws - pre-covid lockdown! - so I've spent many a day trailing around his old haunts in Belfast and Comber. His office was open to the public (again, pre-lockdown) as part of the renovated H&W building that's now the Titanic Hotel. When lockdown is properly lifted and things get going again, I highly recommend a visit to the Titanic Quarter in Belfast. An enthusiast's dream!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Hi Kate!

I've wondered the same thing, about the engagement ring. Couldn't seem to find any info about it online so I gave up in the end. If anyone here could shed any light on the fate of the ring, I'd be interested to know too.

Thomas Andrews and the Belfast shipbuilding side of the story has been a passion of mine for years. The Shan Bullock biography is a bit sycophantic and overly gushing for my liking - nobody is that perfect and I'm sure he had his off days like everyone else. But it's useful for getting an idea of the man's character and his interests away from shipbuilding (bee keeping, horse riding, cricket!). Usually I head to Northern Ireland twice a year to visit my in-laws - pre-covid lockdown! - so I've spent many a day trailing around his old haunts in Belfast and Comber. His office was open to the public (again, pre-lockdown) as part of the renovated H&W building that's now the Titanic Hotel. When lockdown is properly lifted and things get going again, I highly recommend a visit to the Titanic Quarter in Belfast. An enthusiast's dream!
Hi Angie,

yes I hope someone will have some more information about the engagement ring, where it is and I do hope its being well looked after. I' m only a little ways into the biography so looking forward to finding out more as I go along. Sounds like he was a very bright, happy and enthusiastic young apprentice and yes, it's so interesting to learn about his other hobbies - shipbuilding must have been at the centre of his life growing up.

I would very much like to look around his office in the H&W building one day and visit the Titanic Quarter in Belfast - I had no idea there was a Titanic Hotel, how wonderful!
Thank you for writing in reply to my enquiry and I do hope we find out more about the ring one day.
Talk with you again soon,

Kate.

Rennette Marston

Rennette Marston
May 23, 2020
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Here's s'more info, if you like:

Reactions: 1 user

Kate Powell

May 27, 2020
UK
Hello Rennette,

Thank you very much for the video and article, I hadn't read that one.
It's from that very video I first learned about the existence of the sapphire engagement ring given by Thomas Andrews to his dearest love, Nellie.

This story really appeals to me because it's like the 'Heart Of The Ocean' but with a real piece of jewellery that's strongly connected to Titanic, it's designer and his family.
Wherever the ring is now, I hope that its new owners appreciate it's significance and make sure that it's well taken care of.

Thanks again Rennette,

Kate.

Reactions: 1 users