Thomas Andrews' family

Mrs. Andrews married Henry Peirson Harland (of the Harland/Wolff family) and died August 22, 1966 in Northern Ireland at the age of 85. Elizabeth Law Barbour Andrews, the daughter, never married and died in a traffic accident on November 1, 1973 in Ireland. There are no living descendants of Thomas Andrews. His wife and her second husband did have 4 children of their own and there are living descendants of those children.

Do anyone know what became of Thomas Andrews' architect colleague at Harland & Wolff, Edward Wilding? He traveled from Belfast to Southampton on Titanic, but then, apparently did not continue with the voyage. After Titanic sank and Wilding testified at the British Board of Trade hearings, H&W's chairman, Lord Pirrie, summarily fired him. Pirrie gave Wilding only one hour to pack his things and get off H&W's premises. Allegedly, Pirrie held Wilding responsible for the Titanic disaster, including the death of his beloved nephew, Andrews. Did that end Wilding's career as a naval architect? Others, like Captain Stanley Lord, were fired, but managed to re-establish themselves in their respective fields of endeavor, and have successful careers.

I have Helen's death certificate, obituary, and will from Northern Ireland. I got the details on the daughter from my friend Senan Molony, a fellow researcher in Dublin.

S

Stacy McClure

Speaking of the family of Thomas Andrews....

I know that his older brother was the wartime Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, and his younger brother was Lord Chancellor ( I think that's the right title ) and that his sister was married to a man named Hind.... but I have no idea what her name was.

My copy of Bullock's biography hasn't arrived yet, so I'm at a loss on this one.

(It is interesting too, that Andrews' niece Edith was the first woman senator in Northern Ireland )

I'm afraid Joe's wrong about Wilding's sacking. It's an old fiction that he was sacked soon after the sinking. Actually he was "stood down due to ill health" in 1923 for reasons that had nothing to do with Titanic.

Pirrie dumped him because he had lost money for H & W. It was really Pirrie's fault because he had not informed Wilding of the terms under which certain ships were built. The financial story of H & W is not a pretty one. When Pirrie died he was broke and his properties were sold. Friends set up a fund to support his widow.

It's also not true that Wilding was given an hour to leave H & W. The dirty deed was done in London. When Wilding's desk in Belfast was searched any incriminating evidence was gone. Wilding had guessed what Pirrie was up to when he called him to London.