Thomas Andrews Photos

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
How many known published photos are there of Thomas Andrews from his adult years? I know of only three, the same two posed ones that are in nearly every Titanic book-the sitting and standing ones-and the one of him with wife and child outside their home. Are there any more out there?

J

Jemma Hyder

mike.

I recently got hold of a nice one but he is sitting down in it and I think it is the one you are already referring too
sad.gif
There must be more somewhere!

Jemma

John M. Feeney

Sep 20, 2000
Hi, Mike:

You might want to try the Ulster Titanic Society web site. Jim Carlisle had added a rare (but very small) mustachioed view of Andrews there. (Also, I believe the apprentices photo is there, which includes young Tom.)

http://www.nireland.com/uts/ -- See "Ulster People and Titanic"

Cheers,
John Feeney

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Mike Bull,

On page 12 of "Titanic The Truth Behind The Disaster" by Peter Thresh is a photo of Thomas Andrews, Major Archie Butt and Lord Pirrie. The photo has Thomas Andrews aged. I've never seen an aged photo of Andrews before.

Teri

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Yet another incorrectly captioned Thresh photo...!

That book's as reliable as a two-bob watch.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Inger,

I agree with your assessment of the Thresh book. Apart from several good photographs (incuding a very clear one of Andrews) I'm afraid it's up there with Gardiner and Co! The most laughable error IMO has to be the caption that Mrs. Ismay survived the sinking!

Mike -- I recall there are several good Andrews pics in "Titanic; Journey Through Time" by Eaton & Haas, including one of Tom as a young apprentice at Harland and Wolff. This may be the one John refers to.

Regards,
Ben

Teri Lynn Milch

Apr 7, 2001
Ben,

I saw that statement of Mrs. Ismay surviving the sinking and thought, "Who on earth could have made such a stupid error!!!" Someone must have taken too much NyQuil that day.

I too, found that photo of "Andrews" quite unbelievable! I knew at the time of the sinking he wasn't as old as the picture portrays him to be, so I was very confused. I don't understand how ANYONE can get a picture wrong, is beyond me. Maybe since he didn't know who it was but wanted the picture in his book anyways he guessed as to who the man was.

But Thresh did give lots of info on RMSTI and there's a picture of Tulloch in there which I've wanted to see, even though its a fairly old one.

Teri

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Teri,

I knew at the time of the sinking he wasn't as old as the picture portrays him to be

Which begs the question, "Who is the man on the left?" Any ideas anyone?

Regards,
Ben

M

Max Nikulin

For me -I think there are at least 10 or
so -pictures that include or show Mr Andrews
And majority of us know only of 3-4 of 'em.

Best Regards
Max

Jun 18, 2007
Does the 3-4 known to the majority pictures happen to include the one of Andrews holding his daughter, and his wife standing to his left? I hope so, as for me, that is his best photograph, because you see him as more than just the designer.

Jun 18, 2007
Okay, that mustache photo is bigger than the last time I saw it!

When I first saw it, it was thumbnail size, and from what I could tell, that mustache looked out of place on him. But the picture is larger now...and I can honestly say, VERY NICE!!!!!!
happy.gif

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I've not seen the Thresh book but I suggest that he got the idea that Julia Ismay survived the sinking from a well-known photo of her arriving in Liverpool with her husband. Catch was, she only joined his ship in Queenstown. It's not the only time somebody has jumped to confusions over a photo. A famous example is Browne's photo of two radio operators, which is so often said to be Phillips and Bride.

Jul 10, 2005
Kritina,
That is what I love the most. The real stories about the real people. That is what keeps me searching for more information about Titanic, her people.

Isn't TA just "the bees knees" in that picture?

Beverly

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
There has yet to be a completely error-free Titanic book published (and such an animal will never exist), but rather than just settling for repeating old mistakes (including one of my personal bete noires, the mis-captioned Olympic officers as Titanic officers), Thresh introduces new and exciting errors in the field of Titanic publishing. Take, for example, his account of James Moody taking a place in a lifeboat and then jumping out again when Lightoller needed another man to work the falls. He's managed to confuse Hemming with the Sixth Officer!

Having said that, he does have some excellent reproductions of Titanic related images...but caution is best exercised in both the captioning and the main body of the text.

~ Inger