Thomas B Williams Titanic and Californian

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Long time, no hear! I've been chasing up many leads, mainly thanks to the US National Archive and historical societies in New York. Lord's declaration of intention to become a US Citizen didn't mention any names, but the people listed at "his" Brooklyn address have no connection with Lord or his wife. Needless to say, this is mentioned in my book, but its mainly a bit of a dead-end (no passport applications, for instance, but these weren't mandatory at the time)

Paul

Pre-order my ebook at http://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

Nov 21, 2006
Hi Everyone! I haven't been on ET for a long time. I was busy with moving to the UK from Sweden. Paul, I am looking forward to reading your book on the topic! /Veronika

Jun 4, 2000
Mining the archive, I've just been given this book as a present by someone who's thrilled to have found a book I didn't already have. Reading the above it might've been better if he taken me out for dinner instead.

Ah well, he need never know and it's now on the TBR avalanche.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
By the way, here is Capt. Lord's declaration to become a US Citizen.

decl.jpg

Paul

http://www.paullee.com/book_details.php

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Matthew

I have read this book and don't think its worth purchasing. While I agree with conclusion that the Californian was not the Titanic's mystery ship the book itself is based on an old manuscript written over 20 years ago. The author is very selective in his presentation of the facts and seems to have plenty of negative comments for those who don't agree him on the subject, the way book is written makes it hard to follow at times and confusing.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
I started reading this today, and barely managed to get past the first page of the first chapter. I started frowning when Williams made the Californian incident out to be the key event of the Titanic story; went "?!" when the foreword's author clearly stated the Titanic was unseaworthy (WHAAAA...?), and deleted the ebook when the author claimed that Lord's reputation post disaster was as important a tragedy as the loss of the Titanic.

Yes, Thomas. The effects on one man are the same as the sinking of the world's largest vessel with some 1,517 lives lost. Sure.

Good thing this was an unlimited read on Oyster!