Thomas Peter O'Conner

J

jennifer moser

I am researching my gg uncle Thomas Peter O Connor Cabin steward some of the information on line seems to be incorrect I would like to put forward my findings . I am new to this whole sight so would appreciate help in this.I also have some questions for the future. Thank you.Jenny

J

jennifer moser

Thomas was 43/44 when he died(census 1871 81 91)
He lived at 12 Linacre lane L'pool Have photo of property.
Looking for a photo of him.
What is a "victualling" steward?
Jenny

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jenny, the 'victualling' department included all the crew members who were on board to look after the passengers rather than the ship - in other words, the hotel and catering staff.

J

jennifer moser

are there any lists of "next of kin" or dependants
for crew members who lost their lives? Jenny

J

jennifer moser

Bob thank you for putting me in touch with the relief fund message board it produced surprising results I hope for more Jenny

J

jennifer moser

Does anyone know of the "duties" of the crew who took the Titanic from Belfast to Southampton?

J

jennifer moser

I now have his MC and BC for 2 of his 5 children
Sadly the names do not appear on the relief fund I am still hoping to find names for the 3 younger ones especially as we always thought he hadnt married.

J

jennifer moser

the reason I thought he was on the Olympic was the list of crew signing the on the Titanic in Belfast says this. His signing on papers in Southampton (have a copy) list the Celtic are there records of this Belfast signing on at Kew that I could look at? jenny

J

jennifer moser

recent research at Kew I found from 11/12 1911 -09 03 1912 Thomas signed up on the Celtic.- viewed his signing on papers. On the 11/12 1911 papers he is given as comimg from the Mauretania.
I understand these papers are with L'pool University archive will try to get access. Jenny

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Congrats on the work you've done, Jennifer!

Which papers are you looking for - the crew agreements for the Mauretania? I don't imagine they'd be with the Cunard archives in Liverpool. She's listed as a 'Celebrated Ship', and all her agreements are held at Kew. Pre December 1911, these are:

BT100/208 through to BT 100/230.

BT 100/230 would be a good place to start working from - these cover the period September - November 1911. Work backwards from there.

Nick Regan

Mar 24, 2012
My sincere thanks to Dave Fredericks and Brian Ticehurst over recent months in helping me with my, for me, new research into my g-grandfather Thomas Peter O'Connor. It is still on-going. So far I have the following, much it from Dave Fredericks himself. I would be very glad of any further information:

Thomas Peter O’Connor, First Class Bedroom Steward was born in Liverpool, Lancashire, in 1868. He married Emily Edith Woods ('Nell') on 12th February 1892, and they had five children when he joined RMS Titanic. When signing on to Titanic, Thomas gave his age as 39 (although he was actually 43/44), and his home address as 10, Linacre Lane, Liverpool. The 1911 census has them in fact at No. 12 Linacre Lane; it's not clear whether it was the census-taker or WSL admin that made the error in noting Thomas' house number.

I have not seen any photo of Thomas O'Connor.

O’Connor was one of several stewards, including Charles Cullen, and William Faulkner, who transferred from RMS Celtic. He was on Celtic from 11 December 1911 to 9 March 1912. Prior to that he was on the Cunard Line's RMS Mauretania.

He was on board Titanic for the delivery trip from Belfast; he signed on in Belfast on April 1st. He signed back on for the maiden voyage on 4 April in So'ton. He is at line No. 204 on the Particulars of Engagement. His monthly wage aboard Titanic would be £3 15s 0d.

Thomas O'Connor was lost in the sinking; his body was not among those recovered and identified.

Thomas’s widow Emily is registered in the Titanic Relief Fund minutes of 1913:
Number 538. O'Connor, E. E., widow and two daughters and three sons. All class B dependants.

As Class B dependents they received, weekly, £1. 12s 6d for the widow, plus 6/3d per child. The children were:

Eleanor Elizabeth My grandma, my mum's mum. b. 1896. Married and lived in Allerton, Liverpool, d. 1973
Thomas Edward b. 1900, no trace of him after 1911 census
Christopher b. 1901, joined the Merchant Navy; eventually settled in Canada.
Daniel b. 1906, also joined the Merchant Navy; also settled in Canada.
Emily Eileen b. 1911, d. 1916.

They were due to have emigrated to the USA on Thomas' return from the maiden voyage. Instead, Emily took on a guesthouse near their home, taking in mainly artists playing at the Rotunda Theatre. The theatre was destroyed in the blitz, and Emily moved in with her daughter Eleanor, my grandmother, and family, at the house in Allerton, which I knew well. She lived there until she died in 1964, aged 94.

Emily gave an interview for the Liverpool Echo in the early 1960s as one of the then last surviving 'White Star widows'. My uncle has the original stored away. Thomas's house at 12 Linacre Lane, Liverpool is still there, currently a newsagent; No.10 next door is residential.

Jenny Moser

Mar 22, 2012
Edinburgh
Thomas peter o connor was my Gt.Uncle have been doing research on him for some time.have similar info to Nick Regans would love to get in touch with him . My Gt.grandmother was Thomas elder sister . jenlaw

Mar 15, 2012
Southampton, UK
Just one thing Nick regarding the addresses - My money is on the census. In 1911, the residents filled out the paperwork themselves so it unlikely that he would have written his own address incorrectly, or whoever the head of the household was. There are a monstrous amount of errors on the signing on particulars so this is probably yet another occasion.

Jenny Moser

Mar 22, 2012
Edinburgh
would like to contact Nick Regan. we are related have been working on the same problem . My Gt.grandmother was Thomas Peters elder sister. I have been looking into this for quite a few years and have collected the same amount of info. However it would be wonderful to contact a decendant . jenlaw

Brian Cook

Apr 17, 2012
Helensburgh
Jenlaw and I are cousins, both descendants of Tom's oldest sister. We have been co-operating in investigating our great uncle's family. The correct address is 12 Linacre Lane. That is the address given on the birth certificate of Tom's youngest child born on August 24, 1911. Gore's street directory for 1911 records that 12 was a fruiterer's the proprietor of which was James O'Malley. I think he had at least one other shop and maybe Edith managed number 12 for him. I have photocopies of documents concerning her from the Titanic Relief Fund. By January, 1914 the family had moved across the road to 49 Linacre Lane. That property was destroyed in WWll. Emily had asked in January 1914 that she be supported to send Eleanor to Skerry's College to train as a shorthand-typist. She said her income from boarders was not reliable enough for her to support Eleanor at College. At that time Eleanor was an assistant in Reid's chemist's shop on Linacre Road earning 5/- per week. It seems that Eleanor's subvention from the fund was terminated in November 1914. I have no evidence that support to attend Skerry's was ever given. As an aside, if Edith were acting as a theatrical landlady for the Rotunda it would be easy for her clients to get to work. It would be a short walk to Stanley Road along which a 24 or 28 tram would get them to the Rotunda in 10 or 15 minutes. The 'Bootle Times' of April 19, 1912 lists members of the crew that had local connections and were lost in the sinking. Tom is amongst them.
We would like to establish contact with anyone who can add more to our knowledge. We have details of Tom's parents and siblings. We have no photographs of any members of that generation of our family.

Margaret17

Apr 28, 2012
Northampton
Hi, I had just been doing another general search under the name of Thomas P O'Connor when I saw this new thread, I can't believe my luck at finding this! He was my father's great-uncle. Apparently there had been a photograph of him but no-one knows where it is now. My father knows almost nothing about him, and was puzzled when I showed him the information I had already got from the website stating that he had been born in England. My family are all Irish...
I would be really grateful to find out any more information. Thank you in anticipation!!

Brian Cook

Apr 17, 2012
Helensburgh
Hi Margaret, We have details of Tom's siblings and parents. We know about his wife and children, but nothing after about 1916. Please get in touch. I have sent you a private message.