Thomas Rowan Morrow

Nov 13, 2011
Thomas Rowan Morrow (Tommy) lived across the field from my Grandfather Henning’s farm at Drumlough, just outside Rathfriland, County Down.... There are no records that indicate that he was not worshipful master of the local Masonic lodge in Rathfriland.However, he was according to a report in the Belfast Newsletter about news of his death, worshipful master of Drumlough Heroes, Loyal Orange Lodge (LOL) 153. this Orange Lode still exists today and stories past down from generation to generation tell of Thomas Morrow. The lodge still meets today in Drumlough Orange Hall, not far from where Thomas lived. Another member of this Orange Lodge was due to travel with Thomas on the Titanic (Robert Bell), however, he was too ate to purchase the ticket as all 3rd class tickets were sold out and he could not afford any other class of ticket. Robert's Grandson is still a member of Drumlough Heroes LOL153 to this day.He was heading over to meet up with his brother Waddell Morrow, who was working as ranch hand. He also was an Orangeman,Drumlough Heroes LOL 153 are currently trying to find out as much as possible about the history surrounding Thomas Morrow. They are currently in he process of buying a new banner, and hope to possibly include a painted picture showing the link to the Titanic and a portrait of Thomas on it.Photos of both Thomas and Waddell can be found in a book called "The Irish Aboard Titanic" and census information can be found .... This has been set up by the Republic of Ireland government, but it should be noted that this census was carried out before partition when Ireland was under British rule.Thomas's relatives also signed the Ulster Covenant ... which was signed after the Titanic sunk on 28th September 1912. Had Thomas not made the trip in the Titanic, it is likely that he also would have added his signature to this.Any further information would be most welcome.

Rbrtmorrow

Jun 3, 2010
Thomas rowan morrow is [was] my great, great uncle, uncle of my grandfather Robert James Morrow. My grandfather used to tell me how he could remember traveling part-way by wagon with his father and brother to see his uncle off at Queenstown. He said they didn't make it all the way to the ship to see him off, so he never actually saw the Titanic. He also said he remembered his uncle takeing several guns along with him for the trip. I sometimes wonder if by chance these guns were ever found. I asume they were rifles, but I can't be sure, and of course, it's too late to ask him now. thanks for shareing what inf you have, sincerly Robert S Morrow. [email protected]

Liam Corry

Nov 24, 2011
I work at the Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh. We are putting on a Titanic exhibition which looks at the Titanic as an emigrant ship and focuses on the emigrants from Ireland. Thomas Morrow was one of the stories that we hoped to focus on. We would be very interested in any information that you might have on Thomas and would be interested in Drumlough Heroes, Loyal Orange Lodge (LOL) 153. It would be good to be able to give his story some context from the locality that he lived in. [email protected]