Thomas William Jones

Wayne Jones

Mar 24, 2004
I have recently started tracing my family tree and was surprised to learn that a distant uncle survived the Titanic disaster.

I would be very grateful if anyone would have any further information on Thomas William Jones. (Or indeed any relations out there!!)

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Recently, I put forward my opinion on ET that Thomas Jones is the sailor in Father Browne's photograph taken on A-deck, beneath the bridge. My opinion was based on a fine photograph of him taken at more or less the same age. In it he is wearing his uniform and the same, legendary lanyard that I have. I also have several discharge papers and postcards to his fiancee at the time, Miss C E Moulton. He married Clara after he was saved. His messages are written in a neat, small hand and are very charming - and difficult! - to read. He spells his English words just as he would have pronounced them: so they appear Welch! ["Arif seaf; ols ual; bast lyf; ail rit to moro ta ta"] He always signs - in tiniest letters - 'T. Jones'.

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Very pleased to do so, Wayne; over this weekend. And, I'll also forward a scan of his photograph. I've a number of things I'd enjoy sharing with ET and ET Members. So, thank you for this opportunity to share!

Dec 13, 1998
Donald, did you ever encounter Thomas saying who the other crewmen with him in boat 8 were? Crawford is known, of course, but the kitchen hand and the other AB?

Best regards,

Peter

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Peter, I'm sorry to have no answers for you on that important question. I 'hope and pray' someone else may have. (It is more than likely on ET that someone else will!) And, Thanks for having asked me. Don

Dec 13, 1998
Don, I have researched how the survivors escaped the ship for about 15 years, and I have never seen anyone actually naming those two other crewmembers in boat 8, ever. It is clear that one was a 'sailor' and one was a 'kitchen hand' (according to Jones and Crawford), but who they were.....??

Best regards,

Peter

May 31, 2004
I am also interested in seaman Jones. My father,who grew up in Liverpool, claimed to know him and told me his story over twenty years ago. I am looking for a connection. Also does anyone know what happened to the letters exchanged between Jones and the Countess of Rothes?

Regards Liz

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Elizabeth: First of all, 'Welcome!'. I am very pleased to be able to make contact again; as your email to me vanished in a nanosecond into cyberspace. I would like to send you jpegs of the 3 charming cards (both sides) that I have. They will be fun for you to decipher, and will be examples of his handwriting and signature. Also, you will know Clara's maiden name and addresses for her. The Countess of Rothes presented him, I believe, with a fine silver watch. Bob Godfrey and others may know more regarding that and further information of interest to you. Certainly, Members beside myself. Rather touching, I find, that the names 'Countess of Rothes' and 'Thomas Jones' will be forever linked in the chain of 'Heroes All'. Don

Apr 27, 2003
Elizabeth - Welcome.
Here is some information from my database that may help you:

JONES, THOMAS WILLIAM. Saved in Lifeboat number 8. Lived at 68 Nesfield Street, Liverpool. Occupation - Able Seaman. 32 years old. (Born in Anglesea). Ship before the Titanic - RMS Oceanic.

(From The ''Wells'' Journal May 30th 1912).
LADYS PRAISE OF A TITANIC SEAMAN
One of the able seamen on the Titanic, Thomas Jones, a native of Anglesey has received the following letter from New York:-
''I feel I must write and tell you how splendidly you took charge of our boat on the fatal night. There were only four English people in it - my cousin (Lady Rothes), and her maid, you, and myself, and I think you were wonderful. The dreadful regret I shall always have, and I know you share with me, is that we ought to have gone back to see whom we could pick up, but if you remember, there was only an American lady, my cousin, self, and you who wanted to return.
I could not hear the discussion very clearly, as I was at the tiller, but everyone forward and the three men refused. But I shall always remember your words, ''Ladies, if any of us are saved remember I wanted to go back. I would rather drown with them than leave them'', you did all you could, and being my own countryman I wanted to tell you this''. Yours very truly Gladys Cherry.

It seems that Jones was in charge of a boat in which there were 35 ladies and three men. Captain Smith ordered him to row for a light which they saw in the distance, put the passengers in safety, and return to the Titanic as soon as possible. He failed to reached the light, and when he saw that the Titanic has sunk he wanted to go back and save some of those struggling in the water, but was overruled. After eight hours in the open boat they were picked up by the Carpathia.

(From the Cambridge Chronicle April 26th, 1912, page 5).
''Falling ice from the berg killed many persons on the decks. - William Jones, of Southampton, fireman.''

Jones apparently admired the Countess of Rothes very much indeed. In fact he later presented her with the brass number plate of the boat and in later years they maintained a correspondence.
The countess's cousin Miss Gladys Cherry was also in boat 8 and later wrote the following letter which was printed in a number of Newspapers:
LETTER TO TITANIC HERO
Thomas Jones, a native of Anglesey, who was an able seaman on the Titanic, has received the following letter, dated from the Great Northern Hotel, New York:
 I feel I must write and tell you how splendidly you took charge of our boat on the fatal night. There were only four English people in it-my cousin Lady Rothes, her maid, you and myself-and I think you were wonderful.
 The dreadful regret I shall always have, and I know you share with me, is that we ought to have gone back to see whom we could pick up; but if you remember, there was only an American lady, my cousin, self and you who wanted to return. I could not hear the discussion very clearly, as I was at the tiller; but everyone forward and the three men refused; but I shall always remember your words: "ladies, if any of us are saved, remember, I wanted to go back. I would rather drown with them than leave them." You did all you could, and being my own countryman, I wanted to tell you this.
Yours very truly, Gladys Cherry.

(From The Henley and South Oxfordshire Standard (incorporating "The Henley Free Press"), 07th June 1912 (p.3))
In an interview Jones said that there were thirty-five ladies and three men in his boat. When he saw that the Titanic had sunk he wanted to go back and save some of those struggling in the water, but was 'overruled'.

Best regards

Brian

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
For a pic of Tom's watch, see here:
http://clanleslietrust.org/collection_Silver_128.shtml

A similar Benson silver watch has been offered for sale as the former property of steward Crawford, and obtained in the same way from the Countess. There's no evidence that she was specially impressed by the behaviour of Crawford, and any sign of engraving has been ground away, allegedly by a jeweler who obtained it through deception, but the serial numbers of the two watches were said to be three numbers apart, suggesting not only that the Crawford watch is authentic but that there there are two more to be found. The present Lord Rothes believes that one of these was presented to a Mr Hart of Foundry Lane, Southampton. This has to be steward John Hart, who gained a heroic reputation for bringing groups of 3rd Class women and children to the boat deck but testified that he eventually boarded boat 15.

J

John Rixchard Williams

If wayneamlwch is still interested, would he get in touch with me?

May 31, 2004
Does anyone know why the photo of Thomas Jones has been removed from his biography? Also I see his year of death has been added as 1967. Is there anymore information regarding this?
Regards Liz

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Liz, you may have been looking at the summary page. If so, look for the 'Discover More' link to the original biography page - the photo is still there.

Wayne Jones

Mar 24, 2004
FAO :J R Williams

Apologies in the delay in replying - Christmas!!

I would be very grateful if you could add any further information that could help towards the Family Tree. ( Have taken time out on research for the last few months but will be looking to resume in the new year.)

Feel free to email to [email protected]

D

David Bennell

My partner and I have only just d1scovered this board.
Shelagh,my partner, is the only grand-daughter of Thomas and Clara.
Thomas and Clara had two daughters and one son.
The son, William, was declared missing in WW2.
Mary, the eldest daughter, died in 2004.
Nellie, the youngest, is still alive, Nell never married.
If anyone would like further information we will gladly answer enquiries 9within reason).

Dave.