Thomas Woolner Father of Hugh Woolner

Dec 4, 1998
It is said in Judith B. Geller's 'Titanic: Women and Children First' book that, in Mrs Candee's biography, Hugh Woolner, a member of 'Our Coterie', was the son of a famed English sculptor. I have found information on a 'Thomas Woolner', a famed English sculptor who often sculpted peoples' portraits into medallions for them, and created little cameo miniatures. I am most certain that this is Mr Woolner's father, but if one can confirm that he is or not then I would be delighted to know for certain via confirmation. I have found some photographs and a complete listing of Mr Woolner's portraits done on the Victorian Web if this may be of help.

(http://landow.stg.brown.edu/victorian/sculpture/woolner/woolnerov.html/)

Apr 26, 2005
Hello Jeff! unfortunatly I don't have the skill to reply to your question about Hugh Woolner's father, but something else in your message interested me. You mentioned Mrs. Candee's biography. Do you know where I can obtain a copy of this document? She is one of the passengers for whom I have much respect and would appreciate to know more about her. So, if you can help me, it would be very nice. If you prefer to contact me personnally, don't hesitate. You have my address.
All the best,

Charles

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It looks like it's a rare bird. It's not in the Library of Congress or the National Library of Australia. Both have some of her numerous other books on many topics. Good hunting!

Dec 4, 1998
I thank you both for your responses; I just learned that he was Hugh's father. For information, just go to the Web Site.