Thoughts on Private Titanic Dives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
Good Day All -

I am relatively new to the message boards so if this topic has already been covered, I apologize. But I'd like to get your thoughts about private expeditions to the Titanic. How do you feel about these commercial visits? I saw an ad for a private dive company and for a *mere* $36,650 (I'm dripping with sarcasm)they will actually take you down to the wreck site. I'd be fascinated to hear what your thoughts are about this subject.

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
Lee,

Not sure, but after paying all that money, what's another 5 bucks? What are your thoughts on this whole thing? How do you feel about people going down on these private dives?

Karen

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
Quite frankly, I would go to the devil rather than pay them $5.00 shipping and handling - for that much, the company had better well cover it.

Personally, it's something worth considering. I am well aware all this activity is hastening the disintegration of the ship, but the ship's not going to be down there forever, and it would be nice to see her.

Were I to go down in conjunction with a scientific expedition, I probably would. Were I to go down on a private dive,I would insist on gobs of filmmaking equipment to record it - a personal dive need not be a private dive, and if I went down all I photographed would be available to others.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Not really on my radar screen. So long as tourists don't molest the wreck or the debris field, if they want to pony up $36,650 to go down and look, then more power to them and I hope they enjoy themselves. For that kind of money, it would be kind of silly if they didn't.

Karen Fink

May 14, 2004
Lee,

I certainly share your sentiment that if I were to go down, I would share my photographs with others. I would certainly want others to have the opportunity to see what I saw. It will be sad day indeed when the Titanic is no longer there.

Wesley Burton

Apr 22, 2004
I think they should send more people down to see the wreck as long as its still there. As long as they dont take anything (except pictures) or damage the wreck. People visit graveyards of historic people all the time, why not Titanic? But I've never heard of any one getting married in one.....until Titanic. They shouldnt be allowed to do that. There must be a line showing what you can and cant do.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
What sort of lighting is available for these dives? I'm sure they don't have the lighting available that James Cameron has...so what does the tour consist of? I'd love to go down but I wonder if it would be worth it...oh...and I need to save up a lot more money ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.