THS Commutator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2000
Hi, Darren:

Thanks for your comments. I just got my copy in the mail this afternoon and was flattered that it was the cover story. Ed and Karen did wonderful justice to the color illustrations and I thank them and THS. The magazine this issue is otherwise interesting for the beautiful section on the Lusitania anniversary. Elsewhere, it was sad to read of the death of Captain Rostron’s daughter, Margaret Howman, and the late John Gillespie was also honored. A very nice edition and am proud to be a part of it.

Hope you’re well —— and managed to steer clear of Hurricane Ophelia!

Randy

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I just got my copy and it's looking good. Especially the article on Lucy. Of course, even though the envelope was conspicuously marked "DO NOT BEND" the Post Office not only bent it, they used it to wrap up the reast of the mail.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I haven't received the latest issue yet, but it will probably be here by the end of the week.

quote:

Of course, even though the envelope was conspicuously marked "DO NOT BEND" the Post Office not only bent it, they used it to wrap up the reast of the mail.

That's very annoying. The Post Office here hasn't done that, but they have bent my copies more than once. I've had to make a trip to the Post Office the last few times to pick it up, but at least it's guaranteed it's not going to be bent.​

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Ning-nong here has let her membership sub lapse again, I suspect!

Will get it renewed soon so I can read the piece.

Mar 18, 2000
I find most of my mail marked "Do Not Bend", is. And complaining about it doesn't help - "It happened before it got here" is the usual answer.

T

Timothy Trower

I have a couple of extra copies of the first edition of the "Titanic Commutator" (1963) under the original guise titled "The Marconigram" (the Marconi Company objected and the title was changed to the current "Titanic Commutator"). These are printed in a newspaper format, and were two pages, front and back (I think roughly 17" x 22"). These are not reprints, but originals.

Is there any interest in these? I'd be willing to part with either or both, but have no clue what the price should be ... maybe eBay is the place to try selling them. Let me know if you are interested.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
Ok. Here's the deal. I am leaving for two years as soon as I can. I will have no contact with any of these websites, nor will I receive any mail, other than that from my family. This question has to deal with when I get back. Do you think that I should join the THS when I get back if I'm still interested? About the conventions, where are they usually held at? How often? And most importantly, what is the COMMUTATOR? Is it fun to read? What's in it? Is it worth a membership in the THS?

Also, as a side note, which one is better? The Titanic Historical Society or the British Titanic Society? I know the British Society charges a great deal less. What is the popular opinion here?

Jul 12, 2005
The Titanic Commutator is the Journal of the Titanic Historical Society, Inc. and is published four times a year. The THS was founded in September, 1963 as the Titanic Enthusiasts of America and was incorporated in 1975 at the Titanic Historical Society, Inc. The THS has announced a general meeting of the Society in the Fall of 2008 in the Springfield (Indian Orchard) Massachusetts area and another meeting on the Queen Mary in April, 2009. The British Titanic Society and Titanic International are very good societies and publish excellent journals. I would say to join the society that is closest to your home, so you can attend their meetings. You can become members-at-large of the other societies just by sending in their annual dues. The THS's website is www.titanic1.org

Robert H. Gibbons, Co-Founder and Past President

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is it worth a membership in the THS?<<

Yes.

>>Also, as a side note, which one is better? <<

I honestly don't think one is in some fashion "better" then the other. Each fills a niche and all of them offer much in the way of cutting edge research. I'm a member of both THS and TIS for that very reason.

Jul 12, 2005
On July 5, 1960, I was in Boston, MA with the Key Club (a youth version of the Kiwanis Club) to attend their National Convention. I was in a bookstore seeking Titanic books (I bought Gracie's Truth About the Titanic). I met a machinist named Joseph A. Carvalho, who lived in Cambridge, MA. He told me he was building a 36 inch model of the Titanic and advised me to go to the Arts & Industries building of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. to get photos of the Titanic. In April, 1962, the 50th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, Mechanic's Illustrated published a picture of Joe's model and gave him the Golden Hammer Award for excellence in craftsmanship. I called information and got Joe's address and started to correspond with him. Also seeing the Mechanics Illustrated photo of Joe's model were Edward S. Kamuda of Indian Orchard, MA and Frank G. Casilio of Belmont, MA. We all traded addresses and started corresponding. Later in the year, John P. Eaton, of New York City wrote a letter to the U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings concerning an article that had appeared in their April issue about the Titanic, and Jack came aboard. Ed Kamuda hosted an organizational meeting at his home in July, 1963, and on September 6, 1963, we formally organized the Titanic Enthusiasts of America. Ed Kamuda was President, Joe Carvalho was Vice President, Frank Casilio was secretary, I was treasurer and Jack Eaton was Historian. We had to change the name of our journal "Marconigram" to "Titanic Commutator" because the Marconi Company was still in business and objected to the use of their name. Also, Cunard Line objected to our use of the White Star Line burgee. I moved up from treasurer to secretary to president in April, 1966 and served in that office until 1980. In 1975, we incorporated in the state of Mass as the Titanic Historical Society, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation. We changed our name after Mrs. Henry Harris asked me in a telephone conversation in 1964, "Who thought up that horrible name Titanic Enthusiasts? How could anybody be enthusiastic about the Titanic disaster? I lost a beautiful husband that night."
In September of this year, the THS will celebrate its 45th year of existence. Robert H. Gibbons, Co-Founder and Past President THS

K

Kevin Saucier

Robert,

I understand THS will have a convention at the Queen Mary in April of 2009.

I live about 10 miles from the QM and have a museum sized authentic Titanic relic collection. I would imagine having some pieces there might considerably enhance the convention...and/or the QM tour.

So far they have not very responsive or helpful in any way.

Kevin Saucier
email - [email protected]

T

Timothy Trower

Kevin,

You'll want to talk to Don Lynch about that. I am going to try and make this convention and hope to meet you there!

K

Kevin Saucier

Tim,

Wrote a letter to Don...no answer. Wrote another email to the THS...no answer. Wrote two emails to the QM...no answer.

I know my email works well because you respond without delay and are always pleasant...thanks.

I just plain give up with THS. As I wrote before, I sent them dues for gold membership and stated I would kick in extra donations. They sent me a card...and another invoice! Seems I joined a few weeks before their next membership year. Tried to explain but just kept getting the run around and told, rather bluntly, to pay up again. Tried going a little higher up the THS ladder and was ignored. Now, it seems they don't even want a donation of some awesome artifacts to display at the convention in 09. What gives?

I then wrote TIS asking for membership but wanted to check first when their year ended (learned my lesson from THS). Can't believe no one ever responded.

Man, I'm trying my best. Does any society want my money?

Kevin Saucier

K

Kevin Saucier

Thanks Barb,

More than friendly response from Titanic International Society. Now a proud member and a link added to my website! Thank you!

Kevin Saucier

Status
Not open for further replies.