THS Convention April2629 2001

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi all,

I will be attending the THS' convention in Halifax next month and I just wanted to know if anybody here that also belongs to the THS will be going as well.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Nov 22, 2000
Of course, the trick is to change your shoes on the plane!Pity Millvina won't be able to attend the Convention following her operation but I'm sure it will be a success even so.

Nov 22, 2000
She is up and about - refusing in true Millvina style - the use of a wheelchair, and threatening anyone who might dare to suggesat that she does with a taste of her walking stick!
She is hoping to make the BTS Convention, though she will have to spend much of the time resting, but of course is unable to travel very far.

L

Lars Lifvendahl

Does anybody know if Ken Marshall still is guest of honour on the THS Conventions??
What I've heard they usually cut all contact with people connected to the RMS Titanic Inc. and Marshall joined them at one expedition receantly.

Lars

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Lars,

As far I know Ken Marschall is still a guest of honour at the THS Conventions. I haven't heard anything different and this is definitely news to me.

To my knowledge Ken is against any salvaging, but I could be wrong on this....I thought I read it somewhere though. I'll know if he is there or not next month in Halifax as I am hoping to meet him.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Lars:

Yes, Ken Marschall is still an Honor Member of THS. Even though Ken joined the RMST expedition last August, he is still on very good terms with THS and the Kamudas. What I always found odd, though, is that, when he was made an Honor Member many years ago, it was because of his work on the movie "Raise the Titanic" and *not* for his art.

Ken and I have discussed salvage extensively over the years, and since he and I are of like mind on the subject, I don't think he would mind if I gave a brief rundown of his opinions because he is not a member of this (or any other) group.

Ken is very much in favor of salvage and has been since the wreck was found. Although he isn't very vocal on the subject, he firmly believes that salvage is a good thing under certain circumstances and conditions. He also believes very strongly that the collection should stay together, be placed in a museum, and not be sold.

Sorry, Jason, I talked to Ken a few days ago, and he won't be at the THS convention next month.

Eric Sauder

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Eric,

That's too bad that Ken won't be attending the THS convention next month. I must correct myself on my earlier post as I thought that I read where Ken was against salvaging, but I now realize that I had only assumed that he was against it since he is with the THS. Thank you for proving me wrong on this.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

L

Lars Lifvendahl

Hello Jason and Eric;
I really wish I could attend the THS Convention and have a look on Halifax.
I just ordered the poster Greatest Work of Man by Ken Marshall and I believe this is the best Titanic picture ever made. What do you think?

Lars

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Lars,

I wish you could attend the THS convention as well, but oh well. I haven't see the poster that you're talking about. Who did you order it from?

I'm sure it is a wonderful picture by Ken Marschall, as all his paintings of the Titanic are. He really does bring the great ship to life in his work.

I'm interested in seeing this poster. Have you seen it Eric?

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Jason:

If you want to see the lithograph Lars is talking about, look at the image on the page opposite the Contents page in Titanic: An Illustrated History.
(It is really a vertical painting, but the publisher cropped it strangely to fit the page.)

If you don't have Titanic: An Illustrated History, it also appeard in The Discovery of the Titanic on page 10 (I think).

By the way, of all the Titanic paintings Ken has done, this is his favorite.

Eric Sauder

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Eric,

I just checked my copy of Titanic: An Illustrated History and I actually have seen that lithograph before but, I didn't realize it was the one Lars was talking about and that it is called The Greatest Work of Man.

You are correct, it does appear in The Discovery of the Titanic on page 10 which I just checked as well. That's interesting that it is Ken's favourite because it's also my favourite as well. Thank you for the information. Are you attending the THS convention later this month?

Lars, I realized after my earlier post to you that you've probably ordered that painting from the THS as I checked one of my latest Commutators and it's listed their.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Eric Sauder

Nov 12, 2000
Hi, Jason:

Glad I could help. No, I won't be going to the THS convention this month. I think my foray to the Springfield convention a few years ago might have been my last one. There are so many research trips I need to take that I can't justify the expense or the time to do another THS convention.

Eric Sauder

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Eric,

That's too bad that you won't be going to the THS convention this month. I'm just curious about something..I've noticed in previous Commutators that one of the Techinical Consultants listed was Bill Sauder, I've also noticed his name here on the board and as the Historical Advisor for the game Titanic: Adventure Out Of Time. I'm assuming he is related to you...correct?

Are you in touch with Don Lynch at all? If you are, do you know by chance if he is going to the convention?

Thank you again for your help.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The THS Halifax Convention was truly "An Event to Remember". We had a great set of speakers, from the Halifax Centers, a wonderful time visiting the Maritime Museum (the deck chair replica is great to recline in), and an awesome city tour, even if one of the coaches gave out on us. At least "The Carpathia" was there to rescue us; just ask all of us "crowded aboard".

Not even the rain on Friday could dampen our spirits, especially when we visited the bell memorial to the 1917 Mont Blanc-Imo collision/explosion, and the three cemeteries where the Titanic victims were buried. You won't believe, however, our rather unique means of entry into the Baron de Hirsch Cemetery.

Sunday's trip to Terrence Bay and Peggy's Cove was great, and we paid our respects to the victims of the 1873 Atlantic wreck, with tributes at both the nearby Catholic and Anglican cemeteries, and a wonderful lunch at the Sou'Western, in Peggy's Cove.

The Convention is a great place to see old friends, make new ones, and enjoy each others company.
Thanks, especially, Clark, Henry, Joe, and Jason. With luck, we can get together, next year in Cobh.

Sincerely,
John Clifford

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Awww John, my friend you beat me to it!!
happy.gif
This was a wonderful Convention and I'll never ever forget it. There were about 120-130 people attending. There were people from the States, England, and one gentleman came all the way from Australia. I was the only Canadian there!

We stayed in a beautiful hotel right on the waterfront. The food was wonderful and so was everybody's company. Seeing the three Cemeteries where the Titanic victims are buried was a real dream come true for me. Visiting those graves made me realize the full magnitude of the disaster. It was a real pleasure to meet John at the Convention. He's a really nice guy and wonderful to talk to.

I made four good friends at the Convention and John is one of them. Hopefully we can get together in Cobh, next year.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif