Tibbals' The Mammoth Book of the Titanic New Titanic Book Out in UK in April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2000
All,

I don't know if anybody has heard about it yet but Constable & Robinson Publishers in London will mark the 90th anniversary of the Titanic disaster with its April release of "The Mammoth Book of the Titanic," edited by Geoff Tibballs.

Gary Chapman, an old friend of mine is Marketing Director for Constable & Robinson, and he just sent me a catalog and additional news of upcoming releases. I will be in touch with him shortly to obtain more information on the Tibballs book.

Unfortunately this book is being distributed everywhere EXCEPT the USA. So interested American readers will have to order direct from Constable & Robinson in England or from one of their export agents. I'll have more details to share shortly on that.

"The Mammoth Book of the Titanic" will be, as its title suggests, an extensive compilation of survivor accounts. Tibballs authored 1997's "The Titanic: The Extraordinary Story of the Unsinkable Ship."

Advance publicity from Constable & Robinson describes Tibballs' book as containing "the largest collection of eyewitness accounts from survivors and newspaper reports ever collected in one volume."

"The Mammoth Book of the Titanic: Contemporary Accounts from Survivors and the World's Press," edited by Geoff Tibballs, will be a 512-page paperback (197x130mm)priced at 7.99 pounds.

For more information contact:

Constable and Robinson
3, The Lanchesters,
162 Fulham Palace Road
London W6 9ER

Gary Chapman, Marketing Director, may be reached at

[email protected]

(Just don't tell him I called him an OLD friend!On second thought, BE SURE to tell him that!!!)

Randy

Sep 20, 2000
Hi, Randy:

Sounds fascinating! Thanks for the heads up on that one. I do wish it were being distributed here in the U.S. as well, but I doubt that will stop me from pursuing it. :)

Keep us posted!

Cheers,
John

Mar 20, 2000
All,

Thanks to John and others (who contacted me privately)for their interest in this new book.

Two clarifications to my earlier post. 1) "The Mammoth Book of the Titanic" will be published by Constable and Robinson under their Robinson imprint. 2) The April 2002 release date is regarded as "provisional."

Here's a advance-publicity blurb from Constable and Robinson's catalog entry for this title:

"...The sinking of the great ocean liner Titanic has been recreated countless times since that fateful night on April 14, 1912 by authors and film producers alike, but none can give so graphic and revealing a picture as the accounts of those who were actually there. Through survivors' tales and contemporary newspaper reports from both sides of the Atlantic, 'The Mammoth Book of the Titanic' strips away the Hollywood gloss and tells the real story of the 'unsinkable' vessel. Here are eyewitness accounts full of details that range from poignant to heart-breaking, stage by stage from the ship's glorious launch in Belfast to the sombre sea burial services of those who perished on her first and only voyage..."

There is also included this excerpt from Jack Thayer's well-known account:

"...It was now 12:45 am. The noise was terrific. The deep vibrating roar of the exhaust steam blowing off through the safety valves was deafening. There was more and more action. Father and I went out on the starboard side, watching what was goin on about us. It seemed we were always waiting for orders and no orders ever came. No one knew his boat position as no boat drill had been held. The lounge on B Deck (sic?) was filled with a milling crowd and as we went through the doorway out onto the deck people pushed between my mother and father and we were entirely separated. I never saw my father again..."

More news to follow.

Randy

Sep 20, 2000
Randy: Thanks very much for that follow-up! "Provisional"?? Heck, I'll go over and run the printing press myself, if they want. (Maybe even if they *don't* want.) ;^)

Sounds very, very exciting!

Cheers,
John

E

Elaine R Barnes

Randy,
Any reasons the book will not be available in the U.S.? Will it EVER be available in the U.S.? And how much is 7.99 pounds in American dollars?
Thank you in advance,
Elaine Barnes

Mar 20, 2000
Elaine,

I've sent you an email. And if anyone else is interested in more info on the title above, please get in touch with me privately.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.