Ticket Sharing

Nov 15, 2004
I recently found out from my sister that Michael McElroy (19)is my great uncle. She told me there is a family rumor about his traveling with Nora Murphy(34). He perished on the trip, she did not...why would they have been sharing a ticket?

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Jill,

According to Senan Molony in his book: The Irish Aboard Titanic;
"McEvoy seems to have become infatuated with a woman nearly twice his age. ..was travelling on the same ticket ..."
The entry on Norah says: ".. travelling with Micheal McEvoy ... with whom she had taken up following the ending of her own marriage .."
I hope that helps.

Nov 15, 2004
Lester,
THANK YOU! I will have to go and get that book! Is that all it says about Michael & Norah? I was told that while Michael perished, Norah survived & had his child...is there any truth in that? Do you know who Michael was going to stay with?

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Jill,

There is just over a page on Michael. Somewhat less on Norah. - No mention of a child.
According to the US Senate Passenger List; Norah was going to Mrs PJ Murray, 231 East Fiftieth, NY. There is no address for Michael but according to Senan Michael's sister Annie [a domestic worker in Norristown near Philadelphia] sent him the passage money.

mary murphy

Nov 9, 2007
jilly6481, reference your inquiries in 2004 - I am also a grand niece of Michael McEvoy; "Annie", the domestic servant in Norristown, is my grandmother, married name Deegan. We have a photo somewhere of her gravesite in Bridgeport, PA (St. Augustine cemetery) but not of Annie. Curiously, my married name is Murphy! Did you see the inquiry from the granddaughter of Nora Murphy?
Annie had three daughters, Elizabeth, Mary, and my mother, Anna (Kuhn). Elizabeth had a large family still in the Norristown area, some very interested in Titanica and genealogy. Too bad Murphy is such a common Irish name.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Mary,

Welcome aboard. According to Jill's profile, she has not accessed the message board in three years. Therefore, she may not see your message. But, you can send her a message through her profile by clicking on her name.

mary murphy

Nov 9, 2007
My great uncle was Michael McEvoy, lost in the Titanic sinking. His traveling companion Nora Murphy was saved but no one has been able to trace her after arrival in New York. Someone posted a message several months ago, saying she was told Nora Murphy was her relative, but we have not heard anything since. Anyone in Sallin, Ireland with information on Nora Murphy? Nora was on lifeboat 16. Perhaps she took up with someone on that boat?!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Mary. Norah (note spelling) was initially taken with other survivors to St Vincent's Hospital in New York, where she quickly recovered from the effects of her ordeal and was given $100 by the Women's Relief Committee and a similar amount by the American Red Cross. Researcher Brian Meister has discovered that Norah then found work as a servant in the New York home of Hermann Behr, the father of 1st Class survivor Karl Behr. The Titanic connection might have been nothing more than coincidence, but it seems likely that Karl was active in helping out a fellow survivor.

[Moderator's Note: This post and the one above it, originally posted in an unrelated thread in another topic have been moved to the one, which is discussing the same passengers. JDT]