Tickets

I

Izleta Wells

thanks Lester yes that will do good enough, its strange that some first class people only got tickets a few days before hand, Im just trying to determine when the Sages would have and where they would have got their tickets...mainly when! Thanks anyway, Izzy

Steven Dhuey

Aug 1, 2007
When did first class passenger tickets first go on sale?

[Moderator's note: This post was originally posted as a separate thread in another topic, but has been moved to the already pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Alex Watts

Mar 2, 2008
Hello,

How much money would an average first class passenger earn yearly convert into todays money ?

Thanks

Gabby Sons

Mar 31, 2009
Cost for one-way tickets:

First Class (parlor suite): £870/$4,350 ($50,000 today)
First Class (berth): £30/$150 ($1724 today)

Second Class: £12/$60 ($690 today)
Third Class: £3 to £8/$40 ($172 to $460 today)

M

mikeman9412

Hey, How much did a ticket on Titanic cost? First, second and third class prices, Thanks!

Richard Brown

Sep 15, 2010
You can see how much each passenger paid in the passenger lists on the site. Though I think that they are combined price paid for all passengers under that name (so I think the £512 ticket is for 2 passengers in the millionaire suite and 2 servants). I think different room types in each class had different rates, so it is hard to answer what the rates were for each class. It will be a range I think. I think there is a rates book somewhere, but I don't know where you can see that. Someone else will know more.

[Moderator's note: This message and the one above it, originally a separate thread in a different topic, have been moved to this pre-existing thread, one of many in this subtopic addressing the same question. MAB]

Sep 15, 2010
Elizabethtown, PA
Hello!

After going to the exhibit just recently, I could recall that a first class ticket, the most extravagant first class tickets found aboard were about $37,000-$50,000 in TODAY'S standards. (Access to the turkish baths and squash courts cost EXTRA money). A second class ticket could equate almost to $2000 (perhaps? Don't quote me on the second class ones) and I can recall that a third class ticket could be about $900.

I know a lot of people were offered their tickets very last minute as courtesy of the White Star Line in exchange for the Mauritania and other lines of the time because of the coal strike. In fact, many of the tickets held were in lieu of other ships!

C

Crystal Von

Quote:
'I know a lot of people were offered their tickets very last minute as courtesy of the White Star Line in exchange for the Mauritania and other lines of the time because of the coal strike'

Hi Georgia.

My understanding is that the passengers that choose to traveled on a non-Olympic class liner were actually transferred to the Titanic and maybe the Olympic.
WSL offered new tickets on a more up scale class ship without paying any extra for new tickets is a way for the WSL to promote there company and to score more passengers for the Titanic.....you could even say the WSL used this strike to there benefit to show case there new ship, Titanic.
(Titanic was never full to her capacity, originally!)

The Titanic cabins prices still may vary...today cruisers (liners/ships) cabins with port holes are more expensive than cabins with out,same applies to the airliners (air craft)
Would this be the same case with Titanic prices for cabins?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Would this be the same case with Titanic prices for cabins?<<

For the most part, yes. The better cabins commanded the higher prices. The so-called Millionaires Suites for example, were aptly named. You had to be one to be able to afford them.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
What other part? I can't see anything there except the prices paid. Maybe you're unfamilar with the old pre-decimal British currency? The first ticket listed for instance cost 211 pounds, 6 shillings and 9 pence (9d). The columns are very narrow, so in some cases this is spread over two lines.

[Moderator's note: This message and the one immediately before it, originally a separate thread in a different topic, have been moved to this existing discussion of ticket costs. MAB]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 14, 2005
Was everything included when traveling on the Titanic, or did you have to pay extra for smaller things like food?
Meals were included in the price of a ticket. That was a big deal for 3rd class because I've read before Titanic/Olympic some ships they had to bring their own food for the crossing. Other stuff like alcohol, tobacco ect they had to buy and weren't included in the price. Telegrams weren't free either. If you look at the menu's from Titanic below you'll notice there were no prices on the menus.
Titanic Food Menus For 1st, 2nd and 3rd Class Passengers

S

SmileyGirl

If someone dined in the A La Carte Restaurant they got re-imbursed for the Saloon meal, that is right isn’t it?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
There was an arrangement for first class passengers. At the time they bought their tickets, they could elect to eat only in the restaurant. If they did, they received a fare cut of £3 per adult. It was an all or nothing affair. You couldn't pick and choose from day to day, though I suppose the filthy rich could use the restaurant at any time and forget about the added cost. The details are in Francis Browne's book.

S

SmileyGirl

Yes, I suppose a few pounds would not have made any difference to the super rich and they could eat wherever. Thanks for replying.