UK
>>the point is time travel cannot be allowed<<

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere about three views of time travel:-

1. only now exists,
or
2. only now and the future exists,
or
3. the past, now and the future all exist

So, if either of the first two are correct then you can't travel into the past as it doesn't exist. If the third possibility exists then I guess we should expect to see time tourists sometime soon. If it is possible I have no reason to doubt that someone in the future will work it out.

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
Also, if you time travelled back to Titanic, how many people on board that ship would believe you when you tell them that their unsinkable ship will plunge to the bottom with 1500 souls still on it? Scant few I would presume. So you may not change history at all and die before you are even born. Doesn't sound too pleasant does it?

As far as going for a visit, sure I'd do it, just so long as I could come back before 11:30 Sunday night. Not sure if I'd want to fork the bill for the ticket though. Also, I'd bring my own food, cuz they ate all that nasty stuff back then (cow's stomach?! Are you kidding me?). ;)

Feb 9, 2006
I would give almost anything to be able to time-travel and see all the 20th century. But I would to not be able to change anything, otherwise that would just be a bad idea.

But not being able to return to the 21st century? Even I, the history nerd would have to say no.

I never thought of time travelers wandering around now. That's a hell of an idea.

Jan 31, 2001
I was just thinking about that yesterday. What if there really are time travellers living amongst us now? The thought seems ridiculous, but it's fun to ponder. I'm reminded of that chap who, I think in 2000, came onto some message board claiming he was from the future (I think somewhere around the year 2060). He spoke about life in the future, gave predictions, and described the machine that had transported him here. Very eerie, but with almost no doubt a hoax. Anyone else remember that?

Feb 24, 2004
>> . . . if you time travelled back to Titanic, how many people on board that ship would believe you when you tell them that their unsinkable ship will plunge to the bottom . . . ?

Keep in mind those people who claimed to have had, or that another family member had had, "presentiments" of imminent disaster. Did you ever see that episode of The Outer Limits titled "The Premonition"?

http://www.homevideos.com/outerlimits/ol47.htm

Roy

Feb 24, 2004
One problem with that episode is that the people involved weren't able to alert anyone in the present to what was just about to occur. So-called premonitions are difficult to take seriously if one appears to be making them up after the fact.

Roy

May 3, 2005
>>I was just thinking about that yesterday. What if there really are time travellers living amongst us now?<<

My theory is that time travel may become possible, but we'll be invisible to those, for example, in 1912, so that they won't be aware of us and we can't interact and will be able to only observe. So there may be people out there observing us who have traveled back from 2060 to 2006. :)

Jun 11, 2000
Well, being invisible to existing people would certainly be handy. In fact, it'd be the only way, at various points in your time-tour of history, to avoid being spotted and enthroned as a Pharoah, becoming a star turn at the Coloseum, attracting the attentions of Torquemada or the Witchfinder General etc. etc. I don't think there are any future time-tourists observing me. My life is far too humdrum. They'd be far more likely to be queueing up to buy holidays accompanying Hannibal across the Alps; pillaging with Ghengis Khan; finding out if Michelangelo actually painted one centimetre of the Sistine Chapel or if his apprentices did it by numbers; and of course - discovering the identity of the Mystery Ship.

This all sounds like ghosts in reverse to me. And I would point out that 2060 is only 54 years hence, which seems rather too soon to expect time tourism.

Sounds fun though, and closely approximates the idea of Heaven which, from quite a small child with a highly-illustrated history book, I decided would be much more interesting than spending Eternity sitting on a cloud holding a harp.

Aug 29, 2000
http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/home/John_Gribbin/timetrav.htm explains wormholes and black holes and time travel in terms I could understand. I can't get through a week without watching Somewhere in Time, Time After Time, Two World's of Jenny Logan, Portrait of Jenny, etc. Yes, I agree Monica- it is also my idea of a better heaven, although how frustrating not to be able to do anything to prevent disasters from happening. Jack Finney has cornered the market on Time Travel short stories and novels-Time and Again being the best. M.I.T. had a time travel convention last May but it sold out before I could get a ticket- apparently many people would rather be somewhere else! http://web.mit.edu/adorai/timetraveler/

Jun 11, 2000
Yes, the non-interaction would be most frustrating. Imagine the annoyance of not being able to tell Henry VIII exactly what you thought of him; or telling Pacific explorers, "Whatever you do, don't land the goats or the cats..."; or shouting at medieval doctors "Stop it! You're only making things worse."

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Imagine the annoyance of not being able to tell Henry VIII exactly what you thought of him; <<

Errrrr...since telling Henry the VIII what you really thought of him was a good way to get that special haircut which doesn't grow back, I think I'd be praising him to the very skies!
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2000
No, no Mike....
playing the game, so to speak, you'd be able to leg it out of there with no repercussions. So you could tell Hal, or Torquemada or whoever, exactly what you thought of him, then press the button on your wrist, and zoom back to the present. No problems - or at least, that's what I've been led to suppose (too much Startrek at an early age?).

Who wants to be first to try?

May 1, 2004
You'd have to make sure you were connected to your power source, portal key, way-back machine, transporter, or whoever was on the controlling end of that time tunnel or whatever - or near that wormhole.

May 3, 2005
>>No, no Mike....
playing the game, so to speak, you'd be able to leg it out of there with no repercussions. So you could tell Hal, or Torquemada or whoever, exactly what you thought of him, then press the button on your wrist, and zoom back to the present. No problems - or at least, that's what I've been led to suppose (too much Startrek at an early age?).

Who wants to be first to try?<<

>>You'd have to make sure you were connected to your power source, portal key, way-back machine, transporter, or whoever was on the controlling end of that time tunnel or whatever - or near that wormhole.<<

For a bit of sheer silliness on the subject, I would direct your attention to "Professor Smith And The Time Machine" on http://johnwpaige.com/robert

:) :) (That's LOL x 2)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>No problems - or at least, that's what I've been led to suppose (too much Startrek at an early age?).<<

With my luck, I'd be one of those luckless red shirts that get's zapped (Or shortened) because the power fails at the last second.

S

Sara Brown

Even thought this thread has been dormant for a while, i'd like to throw my two cents in.

Whether or not time travel is possible, the way i see it, you could not change anything that had happened, because you were there to begin with. You go back to change something from now (2006) but you were there (say in 1912) because you went back. (does this make sense). You might not hvae gone back until (2006) but you were already there, anything you might do when you go back, was already done in (1912) by you. Therefore, you can change nothing.

i don't know if i was able to put that in understandable form.

May 3, 2005
I think I see what you're saying.....I think ?

However, just to throw in my own two cents worth... from a parallel on the "Britcom" "Goodnight, Sweetheart"...what happens when Gary Sparrow, who went back to the 1940's WWII, finally catches up with the date in the 1990's when he went back, etc., etc. ? I think that may be the reason the producers wisely decided to end the series where they did !

Also what would happen to all the printed headlines of the Titanic disaster if you could go back to 1912 and prevent the disaster ?

What if sometime in the future, a time travel device is somehow invented to go back to 1912, etc., etc. ? It hasn't been invented so far (2006 that is) so it hasn't happened yet. However, if it will be invented some time in the future, someone would have gone back to 1912, etc.

Just thought I would throw in a few comments to cause even more confusion. Maybe I've succeeded.
:)

My own pet theory is :
If something in the order of time travel is perfected , it will only be on "an observer only" possibility ... no possibilities for interaction, thus causing no changes in what happened in the first place.

Cheers !

May 3, 2005
Uh Oh !
I think I just repeated all of my previous postings. :-(

My apologies for not reading through all the previous postings first before adding one more ! ;-)

May 3, 2005
For a bit more more of my nonsense on the subject, read "Professor Smith And The Time Machine" on:
johnwpaige.com/robert.

My apologies to Michael and others of the more serious nature of this fascinating website.

Oct 16, 2008
Going back in time and travel with the Titanic? Hopefully survive it and be able to live through the 20s, 30s and 40s? Experience great steamships, see a Zeppeliner, enjoy the great music of the 30s, hear the sound of 4 engined piston powered airplanes, flying in airplanes with ashtrays and see the Nazis in real life?

I dont see what the question is. As long as I could bring money so I dont have to live like a poor man like most people did back then, sign me up! Where is the machine?

Per E