Time travel to 1912

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
If I went back to the Titanic, I would opt for a "observe-only" experience as well. If I could, I would go in as a second class passenger. I would observe some of the subjects from my story, and I would develop their personalities. One day, I would go "slumming," so to speak, or somehow find my way into third class. I would observe some of my subjects that are in that class as well.

I would hope to live in through the 20's and 30's. I would not want to live in the Depression. That would not be an enjoyable experience, unless I had money stashed somewhere and a large food storage.

I would, however, want to live through World War II. It would be interesting to live during that time.

May 27, 2007
If I could travel back in time I'd be on the Californian on April 14 to 15 to see what happened. I guess I'd spend one day on Titanic to get a look over while the ship was at the dock. After that I would become the Film Czar of Hollywood. Power!
evil.gif
I could make the movies I want to make. Rule peoples lives and give Louella Parsons the boot before she even started. Start my own studio. I would invent social commentary film that would be come classics. Discover Louise Brooks and Anna May Wong along with Clark Gable and Rudolph Valentino. Natacha Rambova would design all my film sets.

I'm boring you all but that's what I would do if I went back to 1912. I think I answered a question like this in another topic that was just like this. Maybe the MODs will combine the two said topics.

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
I'm guessing the reasons above are why you started the Ballyhoo thread, am I right? What got you interested in things like that anyway, Geo?

May 27, 2007
quote:

I'm guessing the reasons above are why you started the Ballyhoo thread, am I right?
Perhaps?
wink.gif

quote:

What got you interested in things like that anyway, Geo?
Good question. I have theories but no definite answer. I've always been interested in Hollywood and the 1920's. It might be since I saw Ghost Story the movie at age 8 which lead to reading Peter Straub's Ghost Story the novel at age 10. I remember watching a lot of Chaplin silents growing up. I guess though that I've always been interested in the past. Pacifically the teens and twenties, Hollywood and Moving Pictures which had an important role and impact on peoples lives in that era. Something about that time appeals to me.​

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
Going back in time to the Titanic would be great!
I would not of help my self and tell everyone i'm from the furture,it may cause me to be a well known person therefore i would be in the top class socity of 1912
happy.gif

Steve Gad

Feb 26, 2009
Here’s something of a question I’ve given a lot of thought to, and in order to answer, you must completely suspend disbelief.

Supposing a wristwatch-sized “Time Machine” could be yours, and for the 3 hours, from 11:30 pm - 02:30am (14th-15th April 1912) you could literally be on the Titanic, from approx ten minutes before the collision, until ten minutes after the sinking. You wouldn’t be seen, nor would you in any way be able to interact, with either people or objects, and you wouldn’t be able to be harmed in any way. You wouldn’t be able to move, or change anything, nor speak to anyone. Your presence would go unnoticed. You would, however, be able to go anywhere on the ship - in real time - but strictly as an observer. At 02:30, you would find yourself back in the present.

Knowing what we know now, and to clear up any questions you may have about those three hours, where would you go during your visit. Who would you follow, as they went about their business? Would you go below at first, and see how the news of the collision was reported and received? Would you stay with E.J, to see precisely what he did, or would you go from officer to officer, to see how they handled? As we only have passenger and crew recollection to go on, would you go to the various passengers we have come to know so well, and perhaps see if some of the immortal phrases actually were uttered. I personally would begin on the bow, and check out the berg’s size, before dashing below to see the damage. I’d be in the mail room next, watching how the overriding sense of company duty had them filling sacks with mail. I’d go onto to bridge for a few minutes, then spend some time in the crow’s nest, listening to what Fleet and Lee had to say. No doubt that would be worth hearing! I’d spend the remainder at the lifeboats, making mental notes of loading sequence, times, capacity, etc. I won’t go into great detail, but I’d like very much for you to do so.
Being able to wander any part of the ship freely, I’d very much like you to give it some thought, and do a sort of time line of your own, for those three hours. I’m hoping we can collate any results, to ascertain the most popular points of interest for people, as the ship foundered.

May 2, 2006
London
I'd find out what happened to Murdoch (did he shoot himself?), find out what Smith's last words were and, in the meantime, pretty much follow Jack Phillips everywhere he went (only because he's my hero and I'm writing a book about him at the moment and I'd want to get as much information about him in as I could in the time that I was with him). I might even go into the Marconi room and look through his and Harold's things (you can learn a lot about people by the things they own lol) (and if I can't physically touch these things, then I can just look at them, right?). At the beginning though, I supposed I too would like to see the damage the berg made, making a note of the dimensions of the hole created by the popped rivets.

I can't really say that I'd be able to do things as I've set out above - if I actually could go back, I would probably be rushing around the ship to see all the things I've read about - Lowe firing his weapon, Ida Strauss refusing to leave Isador, Millvina Dean being bundled in a post bag and into the lifeboat, Jack Thayer jumping off the ship with his friend, the stoker trying to steal the lifejacket off Jack Phillips, the dome over the Grand Staircase shattering etc.

Time line:

- Ship hits the iceberg - I'd watch this happening from the bridge (double whammy - you see the impact, and the reaction of those on deck) before running down to the boiler room to see the damage.

- During the time whilst the Titanic actually sinks, I'd try to do all the things I've outlined above (especially watching Jack Phillips)

- As the Titanic takes the final plunge, I'd be on the stern with the baker (who's name eludes me at the minute)

I'd make copious mental notes the whole time... unless - can I bring a camera along? If I could bring a camera I'd film the whole thing, non-stop, and watch it back to see what I missed when I was back in the present.

Wow - I wrote more than I thought I would
happy.gif
It's not perfectly set out, but you can get the gist of it (I hope)

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I'd follow Arthur Peuchen around (since I'm writing a biography on him).

I would also like to get a view of the lifeboat situation and see what happened to Murdoch and Moody.

Plus, witnessing the breakup would be ideal as well.

Steve Gad

Feb 26, 2009
quote:

pretty much follow Jack Phillips everywhere he went (only because he's my hero and I'm writing a book about him at the moment and I'd want to get as much information about him in as I could in the time that I was with him)

Little wonder you wanted to know what I'd written Carla! I really look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour, so please alert us when it's published. Jason too, blimey, I hadn't realised there were so many authors aboard, but then, since the wealth of information on here is a writers paradise, it's hardly surprising.
Carla, you'd be very busy indeed, but I'd guess I'd do similar stuff too. My only let down would be standing in the wireless shack, watching Phillips and Bride beating up the life jacket thief, then hearing an almighty crash, as I missed the dome breaking. On inspecting that, I'd probably hear the faint bang of Murdoch, using his pistol, and get back on deck just in time to miss the last bar of the band playing "Nearer my God to thee!"
In other words, I can imagine my turn to become a series of 'near misses'. Actually though, just being there, and catching the conversations and reactions of the ordinary folk (for want of a better phrase) would make me as happy as hearing EJ, quietly humming "Singin' the blues" on the bridge.​

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'd be on the bridge to see for myself what really happened there. The general details are known but the specifics have more historical holes in it then swiss cheese. After that, I would be heading down below to see what the full extent of the damage was and then engineering to see what sort of damage control/containment stratagy was attempted.

[Moderator's Note: This message and the five above it, originally a separate thread in a different subtopic, have been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Nov 3, 2011
Well I am interested in knowing if George Swane, Hudson's manservant( I think I spelled his surname correctly) who had seen Alice Cleaver and Trevor off into Boat No. 11 actually managed to find Hudson and Bess and inform them that Trevor had made it off safely.

May 3, 2005
>>They might get a little creeped out and shoot you instead. Lmao!<<

>>But since I'm time travelling, they won't be able to see me at all.<<

All of the above. Plus the following. :

In the final analysis, I think I would make sure the Infernal Time Machine had some sort of "Reset" button so I could jump in and out of 1912 and back to 2012 if things got a bit hectic. Count me in on the party if someone comes up with such a device...of course including such a safety device...and that I could bring along my digital camera and could take as many videos and stills as I jolly well wanted ! ...
happy.gif

Second thought:
You could keep resetting at will and flit back and forth from all kinds of locations on Titanic; then to Californian, etc.

Oct 8, 2011
>>I would also like to get a view of the lifeboat situation and see what happened to Murdoch and Moody.<<

Don't forget Wilde. He's often overlooked.